Locking hub question

Discussion in 'F-250 and F-350 General Tech and Info' started by flattracker57, Dec 18, 2014.

1. flattracker57

flattracker57 Junior Member

I drive a 96 f250 with the 4x4 shifter on the floor and manual locking hubs. It really doesn't like snow and getting out to lock the hubs is cold... My question is does anyone leave the hubs locked and just turn 4x4 on and off from the cab? Would doing this hurt or mess up anything? Love the reliability of the hubs but man getting out to lock them when you literally need it in 4x4 for two minutes until you get back out onto a road is annoying.

2. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

I know a few guys who do it. Just make sure they're clean and lubed up since the hubs will be spinning all the time, should be fine for the winter.

3. Bdons-SD

Bdons-SD Anti spark plug!

I've had my factory hubs switched to manual (locked) for almost a year. Mines an 01, so I have the auto/manual locking hubs. My new house is on a steep driveway, I've been re doing the yard so my equipment has fluffed up the hardpack gravel, I can't back up my own driveway in 2wd ha ha. I back in to unload stuff so often I just left them locked. No major issues so far. I've read about a lot of guys doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. iowaredneck

iowaredneck Administrator

When I had them I would run them locked during the winter while in town. I didn't when I was running on the highway or interstate. Ran that way for years

5. TLSF150

TLSF150 Full Access Member

Ive accidentally left mine locked and drove it for a few days before i went to lock them and realized they were still locked hahahah.. I drove it 80-90 miles a day to work on the highway during those days with no problems.. probably just burned a little more gas is all

6. flattracker57

flattracker57 Junior Member

Yeah I've accidentally left them locked, got out to "lock" them and wasn't paying attention, ended up buried on a muddy dirt road because I actually unlocked them. And I thought if the transfer case was still in 2wd it wouldn't use any more gas then normal because no power would be sent to those hubs?

7. TLSF150

TLSF150 Full Access Member

With the hubs unlocked and the transfer case in 2wd you wouldnt use anymore gas.. but with the hubs locked your adding the resistance of the front axle gears and driveshaft which could theoretically use a little more gas..