Can you guys shed some light on red flags?

Discussion in 'Explorers - Expeditions - Excursions - Broncos -Es' started by Bdons-SD, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Bdons-SD

Bdons-SD Anti spark plug!

Taxes are done now so now we know how much exactly we can spend on a new car without dipping in to our nest egg. What sort of red flags, aside from the used car basics, should I look for?

We were going to finance something newerish but I hate financing and I'd rather buy cash, so we are looking at 2003+ expeditions and navigators. We have a list of 3 navigators we are going to look at this weekend, an 03, 05, and 06. All with comparable mileage and price.

Does anyone have any advice when it comes to the 5.4 in the navigators? Is it a 3v? 4v? What sort of things should I look out for? Cam phasers in the earlier models?

EDIT: looks like it has the same 3v as the f150/expedition with a different head design. Anyone hear anything about the tick tick tick on a navi?

Here are the 3 we are looking in to..

AutoTrader.com Mobile:: Used 2003 Lincoln Navigator Luxury

This 06 is $12000
    2006 Lincoln Navigator Luxury

2005 Lincoln Navigator ask for Rony

Any tips would be awesome! I've been out if the 5.4 game far too long ha ha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  2. iowaredneck

iowaredneck Administrator

The only thing about navigators i don't like is all the electronic stuff especially the electric running boards and air ride suspension gets costly to fix. Different head design so I haven't heard of any cam phaser problems. They are nice tho. Looked at one before we bought the expy but the guy wanted too much for it. They haul down the road that's for sure. I had air ride on a 98 expedition and hated it! I know you can do coil sway and that's what I would suggest. Air ride is a nightmare cause of all the air lines can start leaking and can be hard to fine. Just my two cents.

3. Bdons-SD

They have a sweet interior, and 300hp but I know the thing is a brick ha ha. We looked out for the air ride for my dad's expedition and he got one with springs luckily. My sisters explorer has air ride and it's a 2000 and hasn't had any problems, similar system I imagine but completely different rig=different results. Do you know if they come without air ride because that would be preferred. I'll keep an eye out for it though as a potential gremlin, thanks man.

Turns out the navis so for have been cheaper than the expeditions out here, not sure why...

4. iowaredneck

Not sure but I think they all come with air ride unless someone switched it out. I'm not saying don't buy one just do the swap if you start having problems with the air ride is all I'm saying. Interesting that they are cheaper out there cause its the other way around here. I do like the navs tho they are sweet

5. Bdons-SD

Thanks man.

Yeah, I looked at 2 of those on my list, the main issues I'm seeing are: bubbling paint on the rear hatch around the handle, and corroded wheels with peeling center caps. Almost consistent on every one ive looked at so far. Wheels I can address but bubbling paint is something I don't want to deal with. The 2 I looked at were also just beat up, dents, dings, scratches, and very poorly presented by the dealerships. One dealer just seemed out right shady. Hopefully more expis and navis will pop up over the weekend.

6. Bdons-SD

7. iowaredneck

Looks just like ours except for the exterior color. Mine is blue and tan like dylan ' s truck

8. Bdons-SD

How many miles did yours have when you got it? I'm wanting to get something with lower miles, but we might end up over 100k again.

9. Bdons-SD

Found this one last night, the miles are higher than what is like, but we wouldn't have to take much out of pocket to get it, the wife likes the color, and it has the captains seats in the second row which is what she REALLY wants.
    http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/ctd/4886187687.html

10. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

Its pretty clean. I'd have a full maintenance check done on it to make sure plugs and fluids have all been changed. I've got more miles on my 07 then that thing does...