Positraction and Winter

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Justbrad, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Justbrad

Justbrad Full Access Member

Hey guys,

Just had the final service on my 150 and found out I have a $2k upgrade in my rear end in the form of a Yukon heavy duty posi traction rear end.

Posi might be fun in the flatlands and mud but I want my rear end staying behind me when I go around mountain switchbacks.

Anyone have any experience driving posi in the winter? In the mountains? Where if you go off the road... you die :)

2. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

You'll be fine. Most 4×4 trucks have some form of limited slip differential in the rear.
    Just don't drive super hard and fishtail and everything will be alright

3. Justbrad

I'm pretty sure it's an aftermarket positraction differential... not limited slip. If I were in control of the shifting I wouldn't give it a thought... but that auto tranny dropping into drive on an icy road would really, really... not be any fun. I'll be selling a heavy duty posi-traction differential before the snow flies! I can figure absolutely no advantage to have it and one great big one not to... I really don't want to start fishtailing at 80 :)

It really does not seem like a good thing on a northern truck... any of you southern mudders want some traction... i'll be getting rid of some in a month.

4. Darth Bama

Darth Bama Administator Staff Member

Isn't limited slip and "positraction" basically the same thing? :shrug:

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

5. MyFX4Project

MyFX4Project TRUCKIT

Yes.

6. Justbrad

It sure could be as far as I know. If they are the same... I don't think I want it either... lol

7. Justbrad

Okay... they are the same. Still don't know if the back end will break free on an uphill, icy road when the auto transmission drops into D. Pretty sure it will.

I still can't figure why it was put on in the first place and I see no practical or real advantage of keeping it.

Anyone in snow country with experience... feel free to enlighten me.

8. Darth Bama

Darth Bama Administator Staff Member

The few times I've driven in the ice down here the limited slip always seemed to help in my opinion. I wouldn't want a car/truck without it personally

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

9. Justbrad

Yup... given so few have any experience with posi-traction on trucks in snow country and they are not just uncommon but all but unheard of I'm sticking with my experience on icy roads and changing it. If it were a good idea more people would do it, period. 4wd with a standard differential, i.e. wheel without traction gets the power, works perfectly on icy roads. If I really need the extra traction... chains work quite nicely.

10. MyFX4Project

MyFX4Project TRUCKIT

I had a Detroit true Trac in my last truck. A limited slip/positrac differential.

If one tire slipped, the other kicked in. Two wheels are turning now instead of one.

You said you would rather have the wheel with traction getting the power but what happens when neither wheel has traction?

Two wheels turnin is better than one in my opinion.