3v guys! Read this!

Discussion in 'General Truck Discussion for all Generations' started by Bdons-SD, May 11, 2015.

1. Bdons-SD

Bdons-SD Anti spark plug!

This is just a little heads up for the 3v guys, I searched and didn't see any mention of this on here. Fuel pump drive module, $108 part, it's the size of a cell phone, it's worth changing it out of you have 80k-100k. The family and I drove down to Escondido CA (about an hour from San Diego) from home (20 mins south of Seattle). It was a 20 hour drive we did it in two days in the expedition, on the second day we were about 4 hours from the resort in Escondido and the FPDM completely fails out of nowhere on S i5. I coasted to the side of the freeway with no fuel pressure. Lucky I brought tools and my obd II Scanner so I pulled the code p0190 for fuel rail pressure sensor, google results show the culprit is the FPDM 90% of the time. I risked it and had the car towed to the closest oreillys that had one in stock, swapped it out in about 20 mins. And we made it to the resort by bed time. During the trip we drove to the beach, Disneyland, seaworld twice, and home without any further issue. Cost me $380 total and we lost 3 hours at the resort. All for a tiny little drive module. It's on the driver side frame rail right in front of the spare tire, at least that's where it is on the expi.

Just thought I'd throw this out there to help someone avoid the situation I was in. We sat on the side of a 70mph freeway in the middle of butt eff Bakersfield CA in the 91 degree heat for almost 2 hours waiting for a tow truck. Kids in car seats, with semis whizzing by. It was nerve racking. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

Yep. A lot of guys are carrying a spare one in their back seat now, especially on the east coast that has a lot of corrosion.

3. Bdons-SD

Sounds like the CPS in the 7.3. Most guys carry a spare in the glove box ha ha. I did until mine went out. I need to get another one.

4. Roush PSD Interceptor

Roush PSD Interceptor 7.3L Straight Piped Diesel

Still have a CPS in the glove box of mine.

10mm socket 1/4" drive ratchet
    and a small screwdriver.

Never hurts to have a serpentine belt and belt tool.

Sounds like duct tape and WD40 in my tool box as well.

5. Pity7700

Pity7700 oh umm...uhh?

thanks for the heads up.

6. FofTworide

FofTworide Full Access Member

That's heavily corroded, thanks for the heads up!

7. Bdons-SD

Yep! It was def a total failure, I could hear junk rattling around inside ha ha. I'm surprised we made it 700miles before it failed ha ha.