4r100 Torque Converter Slipping?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by savatreatabvr, May 9, 2015.

1. savatreatabvr

savatreatabvr Junior Member

I recently bought a 2000 F150 5.4L and weeks after owning it the tranny started slipping but generated no trouble codes. It doesn't slip until it warms up and then if I let it idle for a period of time, like sitting in a drive through or a long stop light it gets pretty bad. Once it's in gear it drives great. I was told the torque converter is going out but others disagree so I'm confused. Is this a common problem with 10th generation 4r100s?

[​IMG]

2. AKBray907

AKBray907 SUPER *********.

Are you sure you have a 4r100? You should have a 4r70w unless you have a 7700.

Does it feel like it slips in every gear?

3. savatreatabvr

I only checked specs online so it's possible the tranny may not be original. What numbers on the tranny should I look for and where should I look for them at? It only slips when it's completely warmed up. I can get on it hard from a dead stop and it doesn't slip as bad, go figure. What is a 7700?

4. AKBray907

AKBray907 SUPER *********.

4r100 has 20 pan bolts, 4r70w has 14. the 4r70w pan is almost symmetrical the 4r100 is not.

The other thing it may be is the pump. What's the service record and or maitenence done on the trans? Miles?

5. savatreatabvr

It is a 20 bolt (kinda) rectangular pan. I don't know the maintenance record, I bought it off Craigsliast with 160,500 miles but it runs great and is a nice truck. Took it on the freeway today and cruises fine at 70 mph but it's definitely slipping at lower speeds, mostly between 2nd & 3rd and 3rd & OD but will slip a lot in 1st if I let it idle for longer than 10 minutes or so.

6. liter of cola

liter of cola X tra L arge

Fluid level OK? When was last fluid and filter change? Could have some scorched fluid especially if it does it once warm