Axle Swap

Discussion in 'Tech Info' started by ak_cowboy, Oct 14, 2011.

1. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

So I hate my Sterling 10.25 7 lug axles, but like the 3/4 ton rating they have. The 250/350s came with Sterling 10.5 8-lugs. Is there any reason I can't do a straight axle swap and get 8-lugs?

I would have to figure out what to do with the front hubs also, since the SDs have the solid axle and the 150s dont, unless its possible to swap the front hub assemblys and keep 4wd. I'd even be ok with going to manual hubs :superhack:

Just brainstorming for now....

2. mSaLL150

mSaLL150 Full Access Member

Why do you hate your so much? This swap would be way too much hassle IMO.

3. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

I'd just rather have a normal lug lol. Besides that, having an 8 lug F150 would be pretty kickass. Though until I figure out what to do with the front hubs I'm going to save up for these rims/tires.

(Fuel Boost) 18x9 with 285/75/18 Toyo A/Ts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. VanoFord

VanoFord Banned

In my own imaginary world, where. Respect for wome
    i think the rear end would be an even swap. your only issue might be how your leaf springs mount to that axle. the front however is different as our suspension is not the same as an SD. so you would have to scrap all your parts and replace w/ the SD's, the axle, leafs, everything. you could probably still use your 4wd, w/ at most replacing the driveshaft. hopefully someone else will chime in if i missed something.

5. cowboy

cowboy Sheriff

I think you probably have it right Vano.

6. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

Yeah, I think I'd have to get a wrecked SD and just spend a weekend trying to make parts fit. Leafspring perches are easy enough to move around, and i'd throw an AAL on at the same time.
    Its the front axle and our IFS vs their Solid that's messing me up. And I ain't up for a full SAS yet.

7. VanoFord

VanoFord Banned

In my own imaginary world, where. Respect for wome
    Then this 8-lug swap is dead in the water because essentially you'll have to do a full SAS. It would be far easier to step down to the 9.75/8.8 but then you'd lose a bit of your ratings keep in mind.

8. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

Yeah, I could do a 9.75 swap, but would have to stick 4.10s in it to match my front, then just swap the front hubs for 6-bolt... I just really like the idea of having 1-ton gear under me lol. Not sure how much ratings I'd lose with the 9.75 either, if the Eco is still rated to tow 11,300 on that same axle....

9. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

I finally got rims for the summer, so I'm no longer looking at doing this.

But for anyone that is, get the rear axle out of a 2009+ Truck with the heavy payload package (check the axle code for 4.10s) and it should be a direct swap. If the 9.75 can hold up to the Raptor, it should be fine. Take the hubs off the front at the same time and swap it all over. You might get lucky and find an axle that also has the electronic looking diff in some of the newer trucks as well.