Bed & Reverse Lights?

Discussion in 'Audio & Electronics' started by Carolinaboy, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Carolinaboy

Carolinaboy Full Access Member

So I'm thinking about adding some lights to my truck (tastefully and not that many, unlike backwoods :jester: ) So I want to add reverse lights. Especially since I have tinted tails and I'm planning on re-tinting all my windows (5% all the way around)

So has anybody done them, I'm thinking I can do the wiring pretty simple. I want to use a little rocker switch around my Cig lighter to turn them on and I want to hide them up under the bumper so you can only see them when they are on or crouching down to look. I do a lot of bonfires and backing up to trailers and stuff early in the mornings & nights

But I don't know what kind of lights to get, I don't wanna spend a ton, but want good light output not some tiny little lights or anything.

Bed Lights- Has anybody done them? I want to do them under the rails and have a waterproof switch inside the bed to switch on whenever I need them. I was thinking about getting the waterproof strips from Ozinium and putting cool white lights and run them under both sides.

Any thoughts, ideas, or experience???

2. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

Get at least 55w and make sure they're floods. The best bet for "hiding" them will be some oval or rectangular ones, but the more hidden the less light also... I didn't feel like running all the wires for a switch in the cab, so I just tapped into my reverse lights.

I've seen a couple trucks with bed lights. They mount 3 leds under each bed rail and have a switch next to the tailgate. A couple had it hooked to the cargo light also.

3. Roush PSD Interceptor

Roush PSD Interceptor 7.3L Straight Piped Diesel

I bought these for backup lights.
    $11.99 each at Harbor freight and used the 20% off coupon from their newspaper add.
    [​IMG]

You could mount them to the frame rail behind the back tires, usually there is a set of holes back there used for mounting a drawbar style trailer hitch, they would be up off the bumper and out of the way.

Run a 30 amp fused within 8 inches of the battery 12ga wire to inside the cab thru the firewall to where you want your 25 amp switch, out of that switch back thru the fiewall to the rear of the truck to the light locations. There should be a firewall location on the driver's side that is accessable to run the wires thru. Insulate the wires with a grommet, wire loom or several wraps of heavy electrical tape to prevent chaffing of the wire.
    I always use wire loom to cover over the wires, route them along the frame rails and zip ties to secure them along the way.

The lights can be grounded at the light's bolt mounting point on the chassis using a ring terminal crimped to the light's ground wire that the bolt will go thru. Clean the metal on the chassis bolt hole to get a good ground before attaching the bolt thru the ring terminal.

[​IMG]

The bed lights would need a 10 amp fused constant battery 16ga wire ran back there to the waterproof switch unless you want them on with the backup lights.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  4. supercrewzn

supercrewzn Full Access Member

I have some 55 watt lights from wal mart tapped into my reverse wires. They are mounted under the bed but still light up the rear well.

5. rrogers

rrogers Supporting Member

tap onto the reverse wires for an easy install. or you can hook them on a switch like the diagram above

6. metropolis909

metropolis909 Full Access Member

i ran mine to seperate switch... but i think i may mount a 3 way switch in cab where my current siwtch is to where if its in one position when i reverse they`re on. then other way they`re on no matter what soo if working with a trailer or unloading u can see. then middle off...

7. Carolinaboy

Thanks fellas, I got some looking around to do, Honestly I think I'll just use a switch. I don't always need them just when I am out in the fields backing up to the other trucks or hooking up trailers

A 3 way switch does sound like a good idea though

8. iFX4

iFX4 Chief

let me know what you turn up with carolina because i could use some better reverse lights...especially at the camp durning the winter when im in the woods..

9. Carolinaboy

Will do, I'm gonna start piecing stuff together. I don't know when I'm gonna have time to do it though

10. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

It doesn't take long once you have the stuff. I had mine all together in an evening.