Build another work truck?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Redneckfordf250, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Redneckfordf250

Redneckfordf250 Member

Ok so right now my family has a 89 F250 4x4 XL reg cab 351W ZF5 long bed flatbed 4.30 or 4.10s that we built to be our work truck. Unfortunately when we built it we didn't think things through about having enough room to fit our entire crew of 4. So being this truck is a 351W I figure it isn't going to pull the worlds biggest loads so maybe I should build a second work truck that is again a regular cab so that another 2 of us can fit comfortably in one truck and the other 2 can fit comfortably in another and still have tons of room in the bed to haul. Currently the 89 F250 above is outfitted with 1/4" steel flatbed with gooseneck hitch and soon to be a crane on the bed and welder generator.

So here is what I found:
    On craigslist right now is a 89 F350 cab and Chassis 351W C6 auto 2wd regular cab with a 10-14 (might be 16 but pretty sure it isn't)ft bed brand new wood on the bed and side stake ups and is a dually. As of right now the trucks transmission slips like a SOB but the engine runs great. I kinda need the engine for my personal truck and besides I always thought a 351W dually is one of the dumbest things available.

So my plan if I get it:
    I have currently a 89 F350 (another truck that I picked up for next to nothing (only picked up because of that reason) crew cab long bed that I was going to build a hauler truck out of but kinda deciding not to since it needs a lot of work (brakes are totaled, rear end is messed up, pretty beat up). The truck I currently have is a 2wd 460 ZF5 that supposedly runs but something about it had a problem not wanting to come out of 4th gear which I have already verified is false (does come out of gear) but the engine does run (I dumped some gas and it started up but didn't stay running because of bad fuel pump). So what I was thinking is this 89 F350 on craigslist has a decent enough body to be another work truck, good brakes, and has some things I can use for my personal truck but has a puny engine for what I want. What I was thinking is pull the 2wd 460 and ZF5 from the 89 F350 I currently have and drop it in the 89 F350 on craigslist and use the 89 F350 I have currently for a parts truck (currently my family has a 89 F250, this 89 F350, my brother's 91 F250, and my 88 F150).

Does this sound like a good idea or what?
    What all would I need to drop a 460 ZF5 into a 351W C6 truck?
    Do you all think the stock drive shaft from my current 89 F350 will go right into the 89 F350 I am looking at?

What should I put on this work truck if anything?
    I do not have a specific job for the 2 trucks just do side jobs right now and like to have almost everything to get the job done. (I only have so much room on a 8ft bed F250 SRW so more stuff going on the 89 F350 I am looking at is considered)

I really prefer 4wd because of our area but I am thinking that this truck being so big and long won't even matter besides the 89 F250 could pull the truck out if it got stuck or I could out fit a winch on it some how. What do you guys think?

I would like to stay gasser other wise if I was crazy enough I would do a cummins swap but just not really what I want or need.
    I do have knowledge on engine swaps just not much on small block to big block.
    Trav

2. Bdons-SD

Bdons-SD Anti spark plug!

Sounds like a lot of work to me. Id hold out for better outfitted truck of I were on the market for another fleet truck. That's just me though ha ha

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

3. Redneckfordf250

Redneckfordf250 Member

Well like I said I do side jobs so we don't make much. Most of the time a similar outfitted truck in our are is $3K+
    I don't mind doing a bit more work to get a dependable truck especially since the truck will help get my personal truck on the road.
    Trav

4. MyFX4Project

MyFX4Project TRUCKIT

Why not just take the money for the new truck and put it into your current truck?

Your story is kind of hard to follow even after reading it multiple times.

What kind of side jobs are you doing that you need this truck for?

5. Redneckfordf250

Redneckfordf250 Member

Well mainly because we would be trading not buying with cash.

I haul, set up, and fix mobile homes and in our state to get a permit to pull you need a drw F350 or bigger. I also haul trailers, move things, landscaping, remodeling, you name it I pretty much do it. Fencing and auto work is the other main thing we do.

The 89 F250 4x4 we have does good with most side jobs minus the heavy hauling that's why I kinda wanted a 460 DRW to be legal and such. Plus it doesn't fit all 4 of us and I prefer to not drive my 88 f150 (when it is running) to job sights.
    Trav

6. Stangshcky12

Stangshcky12 Full Access Member

I wouldn't want a 460 dually even

7. Redneckfordf250

Redneckfordf250 Member

Why not?
    I have had tons of 460 trucks and they have tons of power but never had a dually truck.
    Trav