Can this swap work? 460 ecu and 24# injectors

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by nflfreak43, Sep 11, 2013.

1. nflfreak43

nflfreak43 Full Access Member

Ok guys.. I've been thinking.. I still wanna stay speed density.. And a mustang a9l for maf swap is hard to get for a decent price.. Had one coming for free but find out its burnt up..

So though was I need more fuel than 19# injectors anyways, and wanna stay speed density.. 24# injectors came on 460's.. Now would it be too much? Or because I'm still low on vacuum (about 13", factory is around 20") would I still be having some issue at idle..

That's not my main issue.. I want it to have plenty of fuel...

What y'all think?

Smokin' Tires with my 5.0 on Tapatalk

2. AKBray907

AKBray907 SUPER *********.

It should work if its properly tuned, I know speed density stuff can be tricky to mess with. As far as the vacuum though your vacuum low should be entirely related to that 262cam, with the 1.7 rockers you're not going to pull much vacuum at idle

3. nflfreak43

Oh I know.. Like i said I pull 13" vacuum.. That's all I've been able to tweak out of it.. And that's fine..

Just causes issue cause that's what speed density is based off of almost purely is vacuum signal

4. AKBray907

Yup throws off manifold pressures and then it gets confused. Maf might be an easier way to go down the road, there is no real way to change vacuum at idle large amounts unless you switch the cam.

What all do you need to convert to maf?

5. nflfreak43

Some wiring harness overlaying swap with diff injector harness adding pin outs and moving some around, deleting some pinouts, adding wiring for the MAF sensor, getting the ecu, if a9l adding a 2nd O2 sensor, getting intake tubing for it.. And still will be stuck with 19 # injectors unless tuned or calibrated MAF..

6. AKBray907

So a pita.

What's basically your big issue right now? The speed density is runnin the truck lean?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  7. nflfreak43

Hahaha your gonna think I'm crazy..

But base timing, 25*.. Only way it'll run with any power..

When I built it, inset distributor at 12* and was gonna tweak from there..

Well wouldn't stay running long, set it at 10* worse, 16* was somewhat better but died.. So said screw it, put a vacuum gauge to it, timed by ear and vacuum gauge.. Set it and didn't care..

Couple months later said screw it i wanna know.. Put timing light to it. That when I found out it was 25* base

8. AKBray907

Something ain't right ha, I'm running that 292h cam in that 289 with 25* base timing. For your setup I'd be expecting to be around 15*. I think the speed density crap wigs out at the less advanced timing cause the lack of vacuum but the truck would actually probably run better around 15*

9. nflfreak43

Nope.. Won't get out of the driveway at that timing, and if it would doesn't have any power to get out of its own way..

Trust me.. I've tweaked it all I could to get max performance..

10. AKBray907

Can you have someone tune the truck and reset the initial baseline vaccum that the speed density is reading so say you have actually 13" vacuum but basically tricking the speed density into saying you have 20" as a baseline and any readings past that will still remain proportionate to the established baseline.

Sounds like the whole speed density system is way off and you have to compensate by throwing huge timing at it, should be a way to correct it without havin to do that.