CrossBones F250 from hell Build Thread!

Discussion in 'Under Construction' started by Redneckfordf250, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Redneckfordf250

Redneckfordf250 Member

Ok so I have on other forums build threads for my other trucks but this one needs some work. Plan for the truck is to just build it to be a nice DD for my brother and be able to tow, mud, and compete with my 88 F150.
    This build will be slow but that's ok as my brother doesn't drive yet.
    The name of the truck is Cross Bones. I call it Cross bones from hell because 460s are one of the sweetest V8 engines made by Ford and are tons of fun.

So info on the truck:
    The truck was a hunting truck for my buddies brother. When he lost interest in it while trying to convert it to carbed (not knowing what he was doing) he gave it to my buddy. I know this so far: It has a crate engine in it not sure what mods done to the engine yet (will find out though). So my buddy wanted to fix the truck up originally and stay EFI but he has so many projects he makes my list of projects seem like nothing (his include 2-3 mustangs, 1 Harley, 9-10 Ford trucks maybe more, his house, and his guns). So when my brother decided that the 89 Crew cab was to big of a truck (wheelbase wise) he decided to go and look for a Ford truck that was shorter and cheaper to register and more DD friendly. We looked at F150s, F250s with 302s 351s and even a couple of 6.9Ls but all were beat up and he didn't really care for them plus the price wasn't right. So when we went to go and pickup my engine and brush guard from my buddy for my F150 my brother saw Cross Bones sitting in his backyard just sitting there. My brother asked about it and was more or less all that my brother wanted minus one thing it didn't run! My brother wanting to learn to work on trucks better and me knowing a bit about trucks he decided what the hell lets get it. My brother and dad set it up to pay payments of $100 a month for 10 months on it which for the truck I figured wasn't bad especially in my area when it comes to F250s with 4x4.

So info that you all want to know about the truck:
    Year: 1991
    Make: Obviously Ford
    Model: F-250
    Package: XLT Lariat
    Drivetrain: 7.5L 460 gas guzzling pig (when he starts driving probably won't drive more then 80 miles a day probably only 40 miles round trip otherwise he will have to hitch a ride in my 302) E4OD transmission BW 1356 t-case 3.55 open diff D50 TTB front and Sterling 10.25 rear (not sure weather or not it is a full floating or not.)
    Cab and bed style: Extended cab Long bed

Mods done to the truck before my brother got it: aftermarket paint done like a 2 year old did it (my dad rattle canned our B2 and looks 250% better), Warn winch bumper (needs a bit of redneck straightening and some welding to fix it), steering stabilizer, Truxxs mud terrain 255 85 R16 tires (3 mathing one not), billet hole wheels (3 one is a spare but easy to find), chrome trim molding on wheel wells (in good shape), tinted windows (sucks have to put better tint in), 2 inch lift (F350 blocks), and switches galore hooked up like a 2 year old did it.
    So problems with the truck: Engine torn apart and sat for a bit so I have to rebuild the engine (bore it .030 over hopefully and go as stock as possible then later will build a sweet engine need to get it on the road), left brake caliper gone, hood is totaled, headlights broken, a few small dents but nothing I can't take out with a sledge (not going perfect since it is to be a DD and my brothers first truck), left front wheel is a spare (I can find the spare), grille needs put on, windshield, tail light bulbs are needed, need to fix passenger side tail light harness, remove mud flaps and add mirrors, exhaust gone.
    I am hoping to get the truck back on the road and legal and safe for under $2k I have a lot of the parts so that helps a lot. Once it is on the road and money gets back up and I have time we will start doing some nice modding to it.
    We just got the truck over here a few weeks ago so not much done but here is what I have done: replaced wing vent windows (had them on hand), cleaned it up, tore the stich on steering cover off (it was ripped), cleaned the floor mats (skull ones), and started figuring things I need to get it back on the road. Again this is my brothers money pit not mine I just help him out mine is a F150 (more DD friendly)
    Plans Long run wise: D60 swap (if D50 TTB lets go with 35s), 4.10 gears with ARB lockers, Warn 16.5 winch, build 460 to be awesome (way later) (roller cam and such), build the E4OD (way later), clear corner lights, add some more lights (especially back up my brother as of right now can't back up a bicycle if his life depended on it (takes after my mom (I will be teaching him and helping him because I love backing up), paint it better, not sure yet if we are going to go a dark custom look or go with a lot of chrome probably going to do a mix of chrome and black, headache rack (have), tool box, reupholster front seat (not to bad right now), custom door panel speaker inserts, sweet radio system, figure out why the door locks don't lock, add a gooseneck hitch (going to cut the bed patch panel out of his 91 and pull the gooseneck hitch from my 88 then drop it in his 91 and patch my hole.) Cab lights for sure (he likes them I don't), hoping for a Lund overhead visor, add more skull stuff (that is his style), pull the mud flaps, true dual thrush packs no cats out each side after the tire 2.5 to 3inch tip, and regular maintenance probably a lot more but when we get the time we will find out exactly what he wants (he told me before he wants a cummins swap I told him if he does that I am not helping I won't drop a cummins in a ford just how I feel on that).
    Anyways pics time (all before clean up and doing small things):
    In it's parking spot next to my 88 F150 awaiting the engine rebuilt (both of them)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the worst side paint wise:
    [​IMG]
    I got the black plastic piece back how it is suppose to now and the hood able to sit closed but going to replace it:
    [​IMG]
    Dash cover was given to my dad's 89 F250
    [​IMG]
    some of the small parts in the back seat (most just need installed)
    [​IMG]
    the engine in the back is mine not his:
    [​IMG]
    this one is his engine as of right now nothing wrong other then needing rebuilt from sitting and put back together.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  2. BlackThundah

BlackThundah Aka LilWhiteFiddy

Looks like a huge project. Keep us posted!

3. Redneckfordf250

Redneckfordf250 Member

I will and yes it is a huge project but my brother needs something to learn on. I learned on my 88 F150 with the help of forums and my dad now he has my dad me and forums. He needed a big truck anyways that kid is almost to strong. LOL
    Trav

4. Redneckfordf250

Redneckfordf250 Member

Well yesterday I went to the junkyard to grab a bunch of parts and got the following:
    hood, cowl, right fender, antenna, gauge cluster surround wood grain, headlights, coolant overflow box, some small misc stuff all for $80 then they gave us a stock ford radio for free just not sure if it works. Going to test it then if it works going into the truck. Yesterday we threw the hood, cowl, antenna, dome light lens, and more on and I took the old headlights off as I have to rebuild the mounts using them and will make 2 good ones out of the 4. Hopefully this wind and snow will go away I have a lot to do on this truck and my dad's 89 F250.
    Trav

5. BlackThundah

Sounds like you got a great deal on all that for 80 bucks. :peace:

6. Redneckfordf250

Redneckfordf250 Member

Yep what helps is that I am a returning customer since they are the only scrap yard around really.
    Rebuilt the headlight assemblys last night so now they are in perfect shape. Hopefully will get the left fender grille and lights all back on soon.
    Trav

7. Redneckfordf250

Redneckfordf250 Member

well yesterday since it was raining and such I grabbed the starter(was in the cab since truck is torn apart) and the alternator I picked up from the scrap yard and both tested bad. I also grabbed the starter from my parts truck and it tested bad also so I will have to get a new damn starter and alternator but that's ok. I am going to hold off getting an engine till after the truck is paid off. Once it is paid off going to post an add on craigslist first and slowly save up if I get no bites I will go and buy one through O'rielly.

Also decided that we are going to paint the truck flat black and leave all the chrome alone! I am hoping that will look good personally I am not a flat black guy but it isn't my truck.
    Trav

8. BlackThundah

If you're going to paint it a flat color, I'd paint it a flat red or flat dark green. Something that looks better in flat. Just my opinion though.

9. Redneckfordf250

Redneckfordf250 Member

Personally the only color I like that is flat is Olive Drab green and that would never go on an F250 Maybe an exploder or B2 but not a full size truck. My brothers favorite color is flat black so what I am thinking is paint it flat black cheap then when we get the money paint it again flat black and air brush some skulls and flames in it. I don't know yet.
    Trav

10. Redneckfordf250

Redneckfordf250 Member

Threw the right fender and headlights on yesterday. Went smoothly enough. Also threw in the overflow canister. I have to remove the bumper fix it before I can put the grille on. I have to throw a passenger door on still but holding off on that because I don't have an auto window one and right yet I don't feel like swapping the guts.
    Trav