Custom tablet dash

Discussion in 'Interior' started by AKBray907, Dec 1, 2013.

1. AKBray907

AKBray907 SUPER *********.

So my latest project is a tablet mounted into the dash, went with a Samsung galaxy tab 2. Reason for that is the home buttons an such are inside the touch screen so I can fully hide everything but the screen and don't need to adjust for a button. and because android is better for this type of stuff for the endless expand ability, ill probably be doing custom firmware and such on it.

Anyways the plan is to mount it behind the radio bezel, and then disassemble a dock station, using the ribbons from it it not only allows a charge port but also adds another headphone jack. so from this ill run a charging cable to a y usb splitter, one end will go to a switched 12v to 5v 1.5a usb charger, the other side will run to a flush mounted usb that will just sit there. so when I turn on my truck itll keep it charged, but when I have the truck off and no power going through the one side then i can just use my laptop and a male to male usb to sync stuff from my laptop to it simply by plugging into the flush mount usb ill install.

also by using the dock and getting another headphone jack ill be using the new jack for sound and the original up top for an "antenna" there is a back door into the system an you can use the headphone jacks for an fm receiver with the correct software an such which ill be doing.

so now onto the sound side. from the headphone jack from the dock the cable will split into two sets of rca's, one set will go to a 400w (max) 4 channel amp for the door speakers. Itll put about 35w rms @4 ohms for the speakers and I can adjust all the gains an stuff to get it set right, the other set will go to my 2 channel bridged amp and sub combo.

Now i'm not sure how great the double sets of rca's an stuff will work and shielding an what not so alot is going to be trial and error. The stuff will be here all at different days through this week so ill probably start this weekend. ill keep this updated.

also ill be using some software that when the tablet gets power from the power cable it turns on but when it turns off it goes to sleep. So with my switched power from the ignition it'll turn on an off with the truck just like a stock radio.

this will also allow me to setup "torque" which is an obdii monitoring deal and realtime gauges an stuff. And ill fully customize what my display looks like an what i want, also ill be using software that allows a constant volume control bar on the screen so since the original volume buttons on the side will be covered I can control everything that is going on. And eventually once everything is setup right ill be able to just pull up to my house and it'll hook into wifi and auto download all my stuff.

so anyways stay tuned, things will change and whatnot until i get it how i want but that's the fun part.

also here is a quick wiring diagram i did
    [​IMG]

2. Roush PSD Interceptor

Roush PSD Interceptor 7.3L Straight Piped Diesel

No doubt this will be another awesome custom
    mod for your ride.

3. BlackThundah

BlackThundah Aka LilWhiteFiddy

Sounds like a cool idea. Can't wait to see how it turns out. :peace:

4. cowboy

cowboy Sheriff

sounds awersome man. :popcorn:

on a side note if you can't find a piece of software for andriod let me know, maybe I can write you something.

5. 01f1502wd

01f1502wd going up? yes i am.

you son of a........Ill want a full write up of this please :D

Id like to do something like this in the future. I would like it to have one app or program that will act as a radio--AM/FM radio, then switch to mp3 player or iphone, then to usb or bluetooth without having to switch between apps

6. str8t six

str8t six never enough

thats going to be awesome!!

7. Bdons-SD

Bdons-SD Anti spark plug!

I'm watching. Ha ha. This project is in capable hands I think.

Sent from My Porcelain Throne using Tapatalk

8. AKBray907

Thanks joe! I got a vision in my head of what I want so lets hope it gets there haha
    Thanks man!
    I will definitely let you know, the big thing at this point will be an fm tuner, by far the biggest obstacle of the whole thing
    You got it man ill post lots of pics, my brother has a bunch of tablets he has rooted an he has some so like you just swipe left an right between apps, so like music swipe to the right it's Internet and you can keep swiping through your open apps
    Thanks man!
    Haha lets hope it is haha.

9. MyFX4Project

MyFX4Project TRUCKIT

This is going to be awesome. Not a doubt in my mind it will be a clean install.

10. AKBray907

did a quick chop of hopefully itll look like, ( idk why the colors are so wierd my phone does crazy stuff in the dark)

so the tab screen itself is 7' wide and a bit over 4" tall soo that should theoretically fit in perfectly!

[​IMG]