Custom tablet dash

Discussion in 'Interior' started by AKBray907, Dec 1, 2013.

1. AKBray907

AKBray907 SUPER *********.

This basically replaces the whole thing. You can use the tablet for media, music, video, anything and possibilities are endless. You can either move your stock radio somewhere else or another option is to tether tablet to your phone for Internet radio, or get a 4g tablet and have Internet. Another option is to basically use a small mp3 style fm radio receiver and "T" it into the system. I'll explain more on that in a bit.

So how it works is obviously I built the molds and integrate the tablet. Well coming out of the headphone jack ( my design allows to also use the audio from 30 pin connector vs the jack but have found the jack has a higher output) from the jack it connects into a little device. That device is a line converter/line driver/ and noise filter all in one. Because the level coming from the jack is high level we convert it to low level and then boost that level (pre amps basically) and cancel any noise. Then you have an amp for your speakers and subs. One set of rcas goes to the speaker amp and one to the sub amp and then of course you play with gains an levels till it's adjusted right. Now doing this though will change it to stereo audio. And can be setup either left/ right or front and rear. ( in trucks there is zero noticable difference vs say a pioneer multichannel that I had.

Cool thing about this tablet though is you can expand the memory. So I dropped in a 32gig sd card and have about 20gigs of music on it ( which I'd rather listen to then the same 5 songs played over an over again on the radio which is why me not having a direct radio right now isn't a huge deal).

As far as amps I have a Rockford fostgate punch in the rear for the sub and then I believe it's a 200w amp in my center console for the speakers. Honestly the sound is pretty much identical to my old pioneer head unit.

Now as far as install goes... You have to do some trimming, slight trim on the top of the hvac controls ( stays hidden) and then some trimming of the black radio cage inside. Not much but there is some. As far as wiring goes besides the obvious amp and speaker wiring an running the rcas. You need to make a few connections, the switch 12v wire that was original used in the factory radio wiring you'll need to tap into, you'll need to connect the tablet charger to that and the 12v of the line driver, then ground both devices and you're set.

2. AKBray907

Here ya go justin, audio in through headphone jack, into device. Output two sets of rcas that go to speaker amp and sub amp

[​IMG]

3. 01f1502wd

01f1502wd going up? yes i am.

well that seems easy enough... can you make one post with all the apps that can be used, for audio tuning, music playing, truck tuning...etc

4. 97madness

97madness Full Access Member

Thanks Danny. It makes sense, but still would need to see more to fully understand. After the line driver, i understand all of that fully. I should just road trip down and let ya have at it lol.

5. AKBray907

Gimme a minute, needa draw up a simple schematic anyways

6. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

Minutes up!

7. 97madness

97madness Full Access Member

i read it over a few times again. makes sense now. visual would confirm though haha. I plan to redo the system in my 97 this spring, and this looks to be an option. I'll send ya a PM in a bit about the dash piece.

8. AKBray907

Sorry about the small font, the conversion from .dwg to .jpg sucks balls

[​IMG]