I need help fast!

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by CalebFuller78, Aug 15, 2014.

1. CalebFuller78

CalebFuller78 Junior Member

I have a 1998 ford f150 4x4 triton v8 4.6l. I have had it for about four months now. I never had an issue till June when we moved from Maine to Florida. It began to stall and not accelerate uphill and then at all. We stopped in Knoxville where we had the transmission rebuilt. It was fine till Georgia when it began to do it again. We called the mechanic and he told us it was the catalytic converters. We got it home by letting it cool every half hour or so. We had the exhaust drilled to bypass it also. Last week we had new converters put in and the exhaust fixed. It was fine for a while. I took it out yesterday in my excitement and cut some doughnuts and fish tailed and goofed off in it. It had been doing fine. When I drove home a little later it began to stall and not want to accelerate again. It even went dead mid way through an intersection and I had to start it back up. It has 177,000 miles on it. Our last ford had 265,000 on it. Does anyone have any idea what it could be.

2. 01f1502wd

01f1502wd going up? yes i am.

sounds like a misfire. Could be a sparkplug, or a coilpack.

3. MyFX4Project

MyFX4Project TRUCKIT

I agree with jarrett. Not a bad idea to swap those out anyways. Its one of the most common things to do when purchasing one of these trucks.

4. Pity7700

Pity7700 oh umm...uhh?

check your plugs and coils. wouldn't hurt to check your rubber vac lines either. I had a similar issue when a rubber vac line got a hole in it.

5. MyFX4Project

MyFX4Project TRUCKIT

Yup another good point.

Check the vac line on the back of the throttle body. It should run from the throttle body to the passenger side valve cover.

6. CalebFuller78

CalebFuller78 Junior Member

Just so y'all know it was the gas pump. I wasn't getting enough gas to the engine we had a new one installed and it runs like a charm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. AKBray907

AKBray907 SUPER *********.

was gonna say, money on fuel pump. Bet that was your issue the whole time. They thought it was cats probably cause it was running lean aka hot, which looks similar to bad cats. if the cats are clogged itll smell like rotten eggs ( no joke)

8. Pity7700

Pity7700 oh umm...uhh?

glad you got it fixed bud!

sometimes you gotta search for a solution to problems.

9. FofTworide

FofTworide Full Access Member

Glad you figured it out. Some list to check here seems very helpful on diagnosing.