Making clear lenses for factory foglights

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by AKBray907, Jan 19, 2015.

1. AKBray907

AKBray907 SUPER *********.

So just figured Id share what I did to convert my factory foglights to a clear lense and retro'd them, but this is about making the lens itself if anyone is interested. Good clear fogs new are 150 bucks easy, the lexan you can get for 5 bucks a piece and is incredibly durable. anyways

you will need some 1/8" lexan, minimum 10" wide for 10th gen fogs, bigger for newer trucks I believe. besides that youll need some butyl rubber striping to reseal them and thats it, unless you plan on doing a retro or something custom while theyre apart.

to start you of course need to remove the fog light and remove the factory lens (don't have pics of this). But to remove the factory lens toss the whole assembly in the oven at 165 for 6 min then just use a little leverage and pop the factory lens off.

once you have the light apart, you need to wrap the factory lens in aluminum foil, make sure there are no creases in the foil. Then preheat your oven to 330
    [​IMG]

once the oven is heated, set the factory wrapped lens in the oven followed by your piece of lexan, here time will vary as to how long it take for your lexan to form to the shape of the lense so just watch it, mine took about 9 min.

[​IMG]

here you can see it taking shape, once youre happy remove it.

[​IMG]

test fitting it, you can see how its shaped just like a factory piece

[​IMG]

now here is where I did my retro and painted, but you could leave youre factory chrome and just pay attention to the part about attaching the lens

heres my housing painted and ready

[​IMG]

then housing with projector

[​IMG]

and now the very important part, once youre ready to put the lens you made on, you place a run of the butyl rubber all around the outside, just slight larger than the diameter of the factory weatherstripping track in the housings. If you make it took big itll ooze out and become visible when you install the lights but still needs to be enough to seal well.

[​IMG]

then place the lens you made onto the housing and push down the edges around the butyl, then pop into the oven at 260 for only a few minutes to soften the butyl, then carefull press the edges down again, you should see a posotive seal all the way around. Also be careful touching the lexan when its heated because you can leave fingerprints, and it will be warm so be careful obviously.

now I dont have pics of the next step because its self explanitory, but once the lens is sealed and cooled down, take a little cutoff wheel and trim the excess lexan around the housing to leave you with a flush outside. and youre done!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

then just re-install the lights and enjoy, take your time and you'll be happy with the end product and have the look and output of clear fogs without the cost, total cost is about 10 bucks in lexan and another 18 bucks in a butyl kit (all auto stores carry them, ask for a windshield kit, the butyl can be stretch and shaped to your needs)

2. iowaredneck

iowaredneck Administrator

Great write up Danny

3. Roush PSD Interceptor

Roush PSD Interceptor 7.3L Straight Piped Diesel

Using the old lens as the template for
    the new clear lens baked @ 330°
    Brilliant!

4. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

What projectors did you use?

nice trick with the tinfoil template!

5. AKBray907

thanks man, time to do yours!
    thanks Joe, had this idea for a while, had no idea if itd work or not but im super pleased with it

ill post all the parts I used in the other thread to keep it uniform.

6. FofTworide

FofTworide Full Access Member

That looks different good look, nice experiment and glad it came out well.

7. Bdons-SD

Bdons-SD Anti spark plug!

That's slick! I like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. AKBray907

thanks man, wasnt sure how itd turn out making my own haha. but I guess it worked this time