My 1996 F150 fixer-upper!

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Pity7700, May 29, 2016.

1. Bdons-SD

Bdons-SD Anti spark plug!

Found this after a quick search online maybe you've seen it, maybe you haven't. Could help.

Here's a compiled & simplified version of the diagnostic procedure for that code. Notice that the definition is CIRCUIT failure - not SENSOR failure. Also notice how LOW on this list "damaged sensor" is:

Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0385 indicates that Self-Test has detected a Misfire Detection (MD) Sensor circuit failure.

Possible causes:
    -- MD circuit open.
    -- MD circuit shorted to GND.
    -- MD circuit shorted to PWR.
    -- SIG RTN open.
    -- Damaged MD Sensor.
    -- Damaged PCM.

> Start engine.
    > Will the engine start?

Yes: Key off.

MD sensor vehicle harness connector disconnected.

Disconnect PCM. Inspect for damaged or pushed out pins, corrosion, loose wires, etc. Service as necessary.

Measure resistance of MD circuit at the MD sensor harness connector and EEC connector Pin 59 (MD) DG/LG wire.

Measure resistance of misfire RTN circuit from the MD sensor harness connector to EEC connector Pin 6 (SIG RTN) Bk/Y wire.

> Are resistance measurements less than 5.0 ohms?

No: SERVICE open circuit

MD sensor disconnected.

PCM disconnected.

Key on, engine off.

Measure voltage from EEC connector Pin 59 (DG/LG wire) to EEC connector Pins 51 (Bk/W wire, GND) and 55 (Y wire, KAPWR) at the EEC vehicle harness connector.

> Is voltage less than 1.0 volt?

No: SERVICE MD circuit for short to power.

PCM disconnected.

MD sensor disconnected.

Measure resistance from EEC connector Pin 59 (DG/LG wire) to EEC connector Pins 51 (Bk/W wire), 55 (Y wire) and 6 (Bk/Y wire).

> Is each resistance greater than 10,000 ohms?

No: SERVICE MD circuit for short to GND or SIG RTN

EEC disconnected.

Measure resistance from EEC Pin 59 (DG/LG wire) to each of the following pins: 51 (Bk/W wire), 55 (Y wire), 71 (R wire), 97 (R wire). Then measure from pin 6 (Bk/Y wire), to 23 (Or/R wire).

> Is EVERY resistance greater than 500 ohms?

No: REPLACE EEC.

Reconnect EEC & MD sensor.

DVOM on AC scale (to monitor less than 5.0 volts).

Measure voltage from MD circuit 59 (DG/LG wire) to GND circuits 51 (Bk/W wire) and 103 (Bk/W wire) at taps in those wires while running engine at varying rpm.

> Does AC voltage vary greater than 0.1 volt AC?

Yes: REPLACE EEC.
    No: Is the MD sensor trigger wheel damaged, i.e., loose or misaligned?

Yes: REPLACE or SERVICE trigger wheel as required.
    No: REPLACE sensor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Pity7700

Pity7700 oh umm...uhh?

No I didn't see that.

I did check the PCM already and cleaned the contacts but didnt do any testing. Will have to check this out.

3. Bdons-SD

I found that on f150online it was in reference to a 96 f150 5.0. Hopefully it'll help. Apparently that crank sensor code is pretty common.

Roush PSD Interceptor likes this.
  4. Pity7700

Pity7700 oh umm...uhh?

Same truck, eh? That's awesome, thanks dude. Ill try this shit out tomorrow.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

5. Bdons-SD

Hope it helps, man! I know the feeling of trying to track an issue down on that 5.0!

Pity7700 likes this.
  6. Pity7700

Pity7700 oh umm...uhh?

Me too. I want to get it running right so I can focus on the body and aftermarket stuff lol

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

7. Pity7700

Pity7700 oh umm...uhh?

Where the F is this EEC connector!? Haha

8. Pity7700

Pity7700 oh umm...uhh?

EEC connector would mean that vehicle was not obd2, mine is so I have no eec connector.

These tests are performed at the PCM connector. Just got my buddies login, he's an auto teacher at a local high school and have access for shopkey. It's telling me to test everything at the pcm connector.

9. Bdons-SD

Yeah, now I'm confused too. A "p" code is obd2 but that walk through shows an eec which is obd1 but references the "p" code.

It's weird because the 5.0 doesn't have a crank position sensor, it uses the pickup sensor in distributor.

What I'm finding online is a lot of places refer to the "misfire sensor" as the crank position sensor. I think that can cause your code, it doesnt affect drive ability, all it does is detect a misfire. Not sure where it is though. Also the pickup in the distributor seems to be the other culprit. Other than that, im stumped.

10. Pity7700

Pity7700 oh umm...uhh?

Alright, looked over the test that is on my buddies school website. It's almost identical to what you posted. Whst I have gathered is that the EEC is the PCM plug. There is no other connector that has 100+ connections/wires in it. I also looked at the pins in the process you posted where they talk about the EEC and looked at a wiring diagram of the PCM connector, the wires on the PCM connector are the same as the ones where they refer to the EEC, as far as I can tell.

I ran through a few steps with my buddy. Got to the point where it says the wires should show 10,000 ohms, if not, look for short to ground. My testings did not show 10,000 ohms.

From what I can see, my wiring is good. Im going to go back and check that my probing was correct.

While reading through these diagrams, it did say there is another sensor in the bowl of the distributor.