New/used jeep wheels. Plasti dip question

Discussion in 'Other Vehicles' started by Bdons-SD, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Bdons-SD

Bdons-SD Anti spark plug!

I started collecting parts for the jeep, I'm planning an ome spring and shock kit, and some 245/75/16s. The spring and shock kit should give me an additional 2 inches plus roughly another inch from the 100k miles of sag. I picked up some stock Rubicon Moab wheels from a tj, they're a little rough, but i got them cheap. They have some rock rash on the edge of the rim but I managed to wet sand it down, and the clear coat is pretty rough, but again, more sanding and most of it sands down. I plan on doing the anthracite plasti dip, do you guys think I need to strip the clear coat off before coating them? The pics show my before and afters of two of the rims I've done. I'm waiting to sand down the deeper scratches in the clear coat until I see what you guys say ha ha. Like I said, i got these cheap, the moabs are pretty sought after but I might keep my eye out for another set if these din turn out well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The reason I went with these is the back spacing allows more rim to stick out, plus they're an inch wider. A little cheaper and low profile than going with a flashy aftermarket rim. Since this is a grocery getter I want a factory look, but little more aggressive.

Here's the look I'm going for
    [​IMG]

Sent from My Porcelain Throne using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  2. 01f1502wd

01f1502wd going up? yes i am.

I would just straight up paint them. more than likely the tire shop will F up the rim paint job, so probably best to paint after you get tires mounted. personal experience :D

plasti-dip works for a while, but youll have to re-do them in a couple months....
    I wouldnt care about the curb rash, sand it all smooth and lay plenty of primer and paint and clear, do thin coats with ~5-10min between each coat. should come out looking like factory paint.

3. Bdons-SD

I'll probably do them after the tires, I did my wheels on my truck then had tires mounted and they hit the rim with the impact driver... smh.

I wanted to do that new gunmetal looking plasti dip I saw on here a few months ago.. But if it doesn't last long I might go with the epoxy paint I used on mine. Should I just shoot over the clear coat?

Sent from your Mom's house using Tapatalk

4. Bdons-SD

5. 01f1502wd

yeah I would, looks like you got it cleaned up and scratched up pretty good (promotes good adhesion to the wheel, usually good to use some scotch bright pads on it)

6. Bdons-SD

That's exactly what I used after i wet sanded

7. 01f1502wd

^Thats what I figured. What tires are you going to put on it? is it a CRD?

8. Bdons-SD

Of course it's a crd.. What a silly question ha ha. I'm not sure what I'm going to put on yet. I still have to sell the Mazda so I can order the spring kit and buy the tires. I have a bit of time still to decide. I'm leaning towards the falken Rocky Mountain, or the cooper discoverer.

9. 01f1502wd

I believe the rocky mountain and Wildpeaks are the same. Should be a good rubber for a DD.

10. 4ctNduction

4ctNduction Truck of the Century

damn, too bad you dont live closer to me....we have a **** load of those wheels outside in lockup.

but to be productive in this post....i would saw to have them powdercoated