OSR build thread!!! *pretty pics*

Discussion in 'Under Construction' started by Old_Skl_Raptr, Mar 25, 2011.

1. UtahFord

UtahFord FFS best looking guy

Very nice, even better that you thought about what is better. Good on ya man

sent from my badass F-350

2. jsb1282

jsb1282 Junior Member

Bought this ranger truck from a old friend for next to nothing with the story being that it's been setting for around or about 3 years... blew head gasket and attempted to repair the truck his self along with help from his father... I don't know if either one had any experience or knowledge of doing this type of mechanical job but like I said this is the story I was told when purchasing the truck a couple weeks ago.. First thing that they did was went and bought a Haynes automotive repair book from some auto parts store. Then they "say they did exactly what the book said " and began to disassemble the top of the engine to get to the head and gaskets to be replaced. Exceed era exceed era like the book said and ended up going to a you pull it yourself parts and junkyard here in Savannah Ga to get another head to go in place of the original I believe he said because he took the original head to a machine shop and had it examined to determine if it was warped cracked or anything wrong with it before just replacing the gaskets and reassembling the engine (smart move) I think he ended up finding out it was cracked so like I said he bought another head and had it gone over and rebuilt then put the entire top end of the motor back together and that's where the trouble began... after a few days turned into a couple weeks of no luck getting the truck to start or run and who knows how much re reading the repair manual and trying this and doing everything and anything anyone else advised he just said(_ _ ck it! And pushed the truck into the corner of the yard and went and bought another truck.....
    Now my journey with this truck begins. I bought it back to Savannah from Statesboro on a rented uhaul car dolly(about 45-60 min ) ride on interstate & highways and I've went and bought the same repair manual for the truck just to have incase I get stuck and need instructions.. lol only joking. I'm really not a great mechanic but not afraid to attempt to figure it out myself either. I had previously done that exactly the same repair on my 95 GMC JIMMY and in the end couldn't get it to fire up and run so a whole week goes by and a good friend of mine that happens to be a ASE certified mechanic finally let me talk him into coming to my house to take a look at it for me. Within about 20 min of me doing every little thing exactly how he said and him basically just telling me and guiding me on what to do ( resetting the timing by pulling the distributor and getting #1 cylinder to top dead center and reinstalling the distributor the truck fired right up .... so naturally this is what I'm thinking is the problem with this truck I just purchased... except when I get it home and begin looking for the main part to begin with to redo timing I can't find it! I'm like Wtf , where is the distributor first off then I realized what I had never seen or heard of. This truck with a little 4 cylinder engine has 8 spark plugs..... I'm still blown away by that new bit of info but I guess it is never too late to learn something new .. Well people there you have it.. my long drawn out story and mechanical issue... bye the way the truck is a 1994 cult ranger with manual 5 speed transmission single cab shot bed pickup
    I need any and all advice as to what to do and how to get this little work truck back to driving condition without having to replace the whole engine and without costing me really no more than a couple hundred bucks... otherwise I will just scrap the thing and try to break as close to even as possible... please help
    Thanks
    Forgot to mention that the engine has an overhead cam . Don't know if that would make any difference but there you go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Roush PSD Interceptor

Roush PSD Interceptor 7.3L Straight Piped Diesel

Timing is done electronically by a camshaft position sensor located inside the timing belt cover.
    If the previous owners didn't reconnect this sensor or haven't aligned the timing belt marks or have all the electrical plugs and or fuses checked this may be the reason it will not start.

Youtube TIMING BELT TUTORIAL (1996 Ford Ranger 2.3 L ) part 1
    Then part 2
    It has THE same 8 spark plug configuration as your 1994 engine.

Happy hunting for the reason the previous owners didn't put it back together properly.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk