Replacement bumper options...

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by Warspite, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Warspite

Warspite Member

I have a '98 Lariat, with what seems to be a '97 front bumper, without fog light cutouts. I'm looking for a direct replacement so I can install fog lights, and at the same time, install a bull bar. Current valance (which has a number of "dents" from off roading) would have to be cut, and there are no mounting holes or tow hooks. Any suggestions?

2. 97madness

97madness Full Access Member

97's and 98's both had the same bumper. If you want it to stay that way, and not replace your grille surround, go with a 4x4 bumper from the 97-98's. Only easy direct swap. Unless you just mount lights to your bull bar to use. Then trim up your valance to accommodate the bullbar.

3. Warspite

Warspite Member

I have the black grille surround, with a mint honeycomb grille - which I'd want to keep. This one goes straight across, no indents or protrusions (camera's charging, or I'd post it). I don't have tow hooks, or even the drillouts (or valence openings) to do so. The 4x4 bumper would be a direct replacement? And, would a same year Expedition work out as well? Thanks for the info!

4. 97madness

97madness Full Access Member

same year Expy should work, just besure the front bumper looks EXACTLY like this one:

[​IMG]

WOuldnt hurt to make you have the mounting brackets too, just in case. The 4x4 valance should allow you to get a bull bar in there pretty easy

5. Warspite

Warspite Member

Bingo - That's the EXACT look I want! Many Thanx for the extra set of eyes - and ideas! Now off to look for donors!

6. TLSF150

TLSF150 Full Access Member

You should try hittin up a pull a part.. Their not garunteed to have one in good shape but its always worth a shot..

Pull a part south has 3 97 F150s and 8 97-98 expeditions 4 of those expeditions just got there last week

Pull a part east has 2 97 F150s and 6 97-98 expeditions.. thats 19 possible bumpers between the 2

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  7. Warspite

Warspite Member

TLS - I'm not far from the East one - and I'll hit that on Friday (Atlanta traffic sux!). Got a lot of under the hood parts for my '95 Caddy from there (since they all had blown head gaskets - typical Caddy). Brilliant minds think alike - I was going to hit their inventory web site after this one! Most of the ones on Craigslist have front clips that are shot. Mine is mint, but needs an update before spring, and camping season hit.

8. TLSF150

TLSF150 Full Access Member

Yeah I love pull a part lol

9. Warspite

Warspite Member

I found one on Craigslist - and will look at it on Saturday! From an Expedition - I'll just have to paint the upper "lip' black to match mine. If it's in good shape, it goes on my warrior. Pull-A-Part will be plan B. Thanx, TLS and 97madness - I'll post the job when done!

10. Warspite

Warspite Member

Pull a part was a bust - in both locations. I'll wait for a Craigslist partout if I can't get to a yard before the buzzards beat me to it. Other things on the truck to address in the meantime. Folks love the ice blue LED dash. I'll get fancier with it soon.