Sub can't make up it's mind.

Discussion in 'Audio & Electronics' started by AK SNO RIDER, Apr 4, 2011.

1. AK SNO RIDER

AK SNO RIDER Got Snow?

No room in my truck for more than one. The middle seat in the rear is already gone and replaced with the sub and amp, and I always have my truck full of people. It will be a while before I can afford a new amp as well. Just spent $1200 on tires AND had to order new front blinkers to replace the L.E.D.s who's insides were shaken apart on a rough road. Needless to say...I have no money. I currently only work 30 or so hours a month, but will be getting a full or at least part time job with more hours this summer.

Would it hurt anything or would the sub just not be running to it's full potential?

2. TFIDDLE

TFIDDLE VEEEE TEn

Could hurt but not likely. Umm dude look around online for open box, used and other stuff. Also look at pawn shops.

3. AK SNO RIDER

AK SNO RIDER Got Snow?

How many watts should I be looking at? Was looking at the Kicker DX300.2. 300RMS...100 less than the Kicker subs RMS of 400. I'm sure there are a lot of options out there, just would like to know how many watts I should be looking for while staying affordable. I do however plan to stick with this amp for a while, and get something better sometime this summer, once i get a job.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  4. TFIDDLE

TFIDDLE VEEEE TEn

Look at 400 watts rms at 4 ohms with a mono amp or u could do 400watts rms at 2ohms and wire the subs correctly. Either way get a mono amp. Ill look at some prices when I get home.

5. AK SNO RIDER

AK SNO RIDER Got Snow?

Any particular reason for going with a mono amp? Is there something wrong with say a 2 channel amp bridged to one sub?

6. TFIDDLE

TFIDDLE VEEEE TEn

No but mono amp is more efficient, doesnt get as hot, and powers subs good. I have a 2 channel, but I wish I had mono.

7. TFIDDLE

TFIDDLE VEEEE TEn

Somethin like an alpine mrp-m500 wud be good and its 149 from online car stereo

8. AK SNO RIDER

AK SNO RIDER Got Snow?

That is only 300w at 4 ohms though, which I believe is what the Kicker sub runs at (4ohms). Current plan is to stick with the amp I have now, 360 RMS until I finish paying for my tires. Then pick up a Kicker ZX400.1 this summer, or a Soundstream STL1.600D, both of which are mono block 400RMS at 4ohms.

9. TFIDDLE

TFIDDLE VEEEE TEn

Yeah but u can wire the sub down to 2 ohms and run it off a 2 ohm amp which is cheaper.