Tail light tint with darker border 2009 F150

Discussion in 'Tech Info' started by Frank1986, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Frank1986

Frank1986 Full Access Member

Alright guys Im on leave this week so i decided to do a little customization to layla. I couldnt stand those ugly chrome lights so I did my research and found a good how to on it(i changed a few things) but heres the link. Niteshaded LED Taillights (High Gloss Shine 56K NO) - F150online Forums Like i said I changed a few things so heres my version.
    Required Items= 1 can Niteshades, 1 can Duplicolor Acrylic Enamel HIGH GLOSS clear coat, Mequires Rubbing Comound, 3M 600, 1000 grit wet dry sandpaper, Meguiars Plast X, Meguiars Deep Crystal Polish
    022.jpg
    Start out by masking off areas you dont want tinted. I decided to mask off the reverse lights and the red portion of the light because i didnt want any of the chrome to be seen.(Almost like the HD lights, just cheaper...) Next mix dish soap and water and use the 600 grit sandpaper and wet sand the surface. *Note- during all wetsanding on this how to go in the same direction with your sandpaper, not in swirly motions.* Your lights are gonna look jacked up after this but it will be ok. Dry off with a clean towel(a bathroom one worked for me)
    This is what they looked like.
    028.jpg
    Apply 1 coat of niteshades and allow to dry for 30 min. After the 30 minutes wetsanded with 1000 grit. Go very slowly when sanding and let the paper do the work. Rinse off and dry then apply 2nd coat. They should look similar to this while the 2nd coat is drying.
    032.jpg
    Wait another 30 minutes for drying and then wet sand(1000) again. Apply 3rd coat of niteshades and allow to dry. Once the 3rd coat has dried for 30 minutes slowly remove the masking tape. your lights will look like this.
    038.jpg
    At this point you are going to gently wet sand(1000) the entire light. when done rinse it off and dry. Apply 4th coat of nightshades to entire light, and allow to dry for another 30 minutes. wetsand(1000), rinse, dry, and apply final nightshades coat(5th coat). Allow thirty minutes to dry. At this point your lights should look like this.
    046.jpg
    Now onto the clear coat. I applied 2 thick coats, as much as possible without letting it run. It might look a little hazy depending on the temperature but it will go away. Let it dry for 30 minutes between coats and then wetsanded with 1000 grit after the first coat. I let the 2nd coat dry overnight with NO sanding (approx. 12 hours). I waited, im not sure if it matters but it definately worked for me.:waytogo: They should be pretty good looking after the 12 hours, but your gonna have to do something you dont want to.... Trust me i didnt want to... Wetsand(1000) one more time until there is no more orange peel(bumps, like the skin of an orange), remember to let the paper do the work and keep it wet with lots of soapy water. Once your done sanding rinse and dry.

2. jlyoung08

jlyoung08 gumby

good write up! they turned out great man!

3. Frank1986

Buffing/Polishing:
    I used an orbital buffer to save time and make it a LOT easier. I applied 4 coats of Meguiars Rubbing Compound and let 5 minutes to dry between coats. Then remove with Terry Towel and reapply. After the 4 coats here are my results.
    047.jpg
    Then applied 3 coats of PlastX:
    048.jpg
    And finally 2 coats of Deep Crystal Polish:
    054.jpg
    I took it a step further and applied some carnuba wax once i had put the lights back on my truck and here are the end results.
    Before-
    023.jpg
    After-
    049.jpg

4. FLfirefighter

FLfirefighter STORMTROOPER EDTION

Looks great dood

5. Frank1986

And heres with the reverse lights and hazard lights on.
    061.jpg

6. Frank1986

Thanks guys they took long enough to do so Im pretty proud:birgits_tiredcoffee

7. jlyoung08

jlyoung08 gumby

lol i would be too if i was you

8. Darth Bama

Darth Bama Administator Staff Member

:waytogo:

9. westtnfx4

westtnfx4 The Alpha Administrator

Great right up :peace: looks awesome

10. Frank1986

Thanks again... I hope this helps anyone who wants to change up their lights:grd: