Thunderbird - Lincoln Mark VIII - 2 Speed Electric Fan Install

Discussion in 'Tech Info' started by Toplait, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Toplait

Toplait Junior Member

Here is my write up of the Lincoln Mark VIII Electric Fan Install on a 1992 F-150 5.0 With 2 core radiator.

I decided to take some pictures of electric fan conversion mod on my 1992 F-150 and post them for those interested. The reasons I did this mod was to learn and also keep the truck warmer in the winter time. I hope this forum post will help those wanting to hot rod up their vehicle with a Thunder Bird or Lincoln Mark VIII Electric Fan. The first picture is a Dorman 2 speed Electric fan part number is on picture. It is for a Ford Thunderbird. They have the same design as a Lincoln Mark VIII. Although, they do not pull as much CFM as the Mark VIII by what I read they still are good.

[​IMG]

First, I took some Angle Iron and a 4 1/2 Inch Angle Grinder. I cut 2 pieces to around 21 inches in length. I then took the table grinder and ground down any rough edges so I would not cut my self on them in the future.

[​IMG]

Second....The Angle Iron, "was NOT rubbing the fan blades when stationary." Although, when I flexed the blades with my hand they would rub. So, I decided to go ahead and cut away any chance of the fan blades rubbing.

[​IMG]

Third.....I then measured out and cut holes in the Fan Shroud so I could mount the brackets I custom made out of Angle Iron. I cut 2 holes in the bottom part of the fan shroud and cut 4 holes in the top part of the fan shroud.

Also, in the pictures below you can see were I cut out the place for the throttle body radiator hose bolts that bolt to the radiator to go through in the green painted angle iron.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fourth.......Once all the Angle Iron Mounting Brackets are mounted on the fan shroud I mounted the lower fan bracket to the existing fan shroud clips that are mounted to the radiator....NO BOLTS REQUIRED....The Electric fan fits snug in place.

Fifth.... I used 2 bolts to mount the electric fan to the upper radiator. Also, used the 2 existing bolts for the hose that went to cool the throttle body.

[​IMG]

For the wiring part of the project I used Ron Francis Wiring AR-88 kit. So far no complaints the wire is thick.

[​IMG]

I installed the Ron Francis kit beneath the Passenger side kick panel. To that metal plate with just 2 short sheet metal screw just to hold it in place. There is nothing behind the panel...

[​IMG]

I ran the wiring though this hole I drilled in the firewall. I used some Silicon to fill in the gaps and make it water tight once I was done.

[​IMG]

GOOD BYE OLD FAN!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. iowaredneck

iowaredneck Administrator

Nice write up

3. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

Nice job. Thanks for the write-up