Towing 10k

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ak_cowboy, Oct 25, 2015.

1. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

Have a ton of free time and started thinking about the drive back to AK in a couple years. Idk if the Jeep is going to be up for another trip (has over 167k already) so we might have to use the truck.
    If we keep the Jeep (instead of selling it in Ca) I'll need a 30ft trailer that can hold 7,000lbs. Most flatbed trailers weight over 6000lbs empty, which is way too much for my truck to tow combined.
    However, enclosed trailers weigh between 4500-5000lbs, which would put me around 10k for total trailer weight. Jeep+Trailer on drive down was 6400lbs.

I would lighten the truck up as much as I could by removing the toolbox and random crap I have everywhere. I'd also run the Jeep almost out of fuel to save another 100lbs.

With my new shocks, brakes, AAL, and chip, I should be able to handle 10k, right? I'd add a brake controller and have brakes on the trailer for sure.

The bonus would be I could buy the trailer for around $7000 down here and sell it for $10,000 in Alaska, which would pay for the trip down and back.

2. iowaredneck

iowaredneck Administrator

I wouldnt but that's just me. Too much weight to tow imo. Sell the jeep then the problem is solved.

3. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

We'll see how things play out. If we sell the Jeep, we might buy a little 20' enclosed to haul our current trailer back up for a little profit.