Truck Caps

Discussion in 'F-250 and F-350 General Tech and Info' started by First On Race Day, Sep 11, 2015.

1. First On Race Day

First On Race Day Junior Member

Good morning , My Leer cap does not fit my 2015 F250 S/D 8' box...... Leer says they are not going to build a new mold due to poor sales for the S/D series. They will take my cap back and give a refund. The first problem is the fit along the sides of the fenders....at the front and rear I have about 1/2 an inch of clearance but toward the center above the wheel wells, there is JUST enough room to slide a piece of paper. There are other things wrong as well, like the rear window hinge bolt holes had to be elongated an inch each to lift the window to clear the tailgate, one slider window won't open, front window rattles, extra mounting holes had to be drilled to mount it and the rear window has to be held in the middle and pushed on each side to close it. This window does not seat (due to the 1/4 inch gap) and water gets in. They sent two other caps to try but one was damaged in shipping and the dealer sent it back and the next one had the wrong side windows in it. I fear the cap and fender will touch eventually and I guess Leer does too. I have been dealing with them since April and have finally resolved it. Now, I have a few cap companies that say they don't have a cap for this truck and a couple that do. A.R.E. caps say the do have a fitment and their review are more positive than negative for what I could find. So, has anyone had fitment problems and/or has anyone got recommendations for a cap for a guy that just wants what they offer.....a cap that fits. I am not being overly fussy and the people at Leer are very understanding...to the point where they are going to drop the 2015 F 250 from their fitment lineup. I got careless when I ordered it..I figured the name Leer would provide me with the best there was out there. At least they are willing to pay me the extra costs for fuel it has taken me to go into the dealer two times for nothing. It's a three hour trip.
    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  2. Darth Bama

Darth Bama Administator Staff Member

If a Leer doesn't fit it I don't know if if I'd mess with any other company. Leer has always been top notch with their caps and such. At least they're working with you. Sorry about your trouble.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

3. NYCruiser

NYCruiser Junior Member

I have a leer on my truck. Installers had a hard time getting it lined up right. Then it shifted, probably due to the rough ride. Installers reinstalled/centered it and drilled two holes in the back clamp positions and used bolts. Spacing around the door is slightly off, but overall I'm happy with it now and after 6 months I don't notice any problems anymore. Nobody but me has ever noticed the figment along the sides you mention. Mine hasn't leaked at all though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
    dchawk81 likes this.
  4. First On Race Day

First On Race Day Junior Member

Sorry it's been a while. I have a beautiful cap on the truck after removing the Leer. It's an ARE and it is a right on the money fit. Made for the F250's 8' box. everything they said about it is the way it is. Highly recommended. Their option list is complete as well. The cost was about 15% less than Leer for a very close comparison with my options.