What would be a good custom tune programmer?

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by BlackThundah, Jan 10, 2014.

1. BlackThundah

BlackThundah Aka LilWhiteFiddy

I've always wanted an edge programmer for my truck, but I've read their canned tunes can lean out your truck when running it with a cai and exhaust. So I figured some day when I got the money I would get the gryphon from power hungry performance, but there site says they stopped making them last year. So just curious if you guys know of any other good brands that offer custom tuning?

2. cowboy

cowboy Sheriff

for the 2004-2008 models? I don't see anything on their site about no longer supporting that gen.

3. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

They still support the older Edge models, just not the new CS and CTS. I would talk to Mike at 5 star tuning (he's a vendor here) He can get you set up with a custom SCT tuner.

4. MyFX4Project

MyFX4Project TRUCKIT

Why do you need custom tunes? My friend has a edge CS and loves it. Really no need for custom tunes unless you have a lot of mods...

5. iowaredneck

iowaredneck Administrator

10th gens run great with a programmer joe.

6. TxFx04

TxFx04 FFS Frequent Traveler

i'd just get an edge or another programmer unless you plan on doing gears or something. Performance wise i have the gotts mod and my exhaust, everything else stock and my edge CS does fine for me. plenty of power over stock, didn't plan on getting custom tunes until i regeared.

7. MyFX4Project

MyFX4Project TRUCKIT

Even still you don't really need custom tunes... you can adjust gear ratio in your settings already.

8. BlackThundah

BlackThundah Aka LilWhiteFiddy

Wow I didn't even realize I put this in the wrong section. My bad there... I was just concerned about running the normal edge because I didn't want to lean out my truck. I guess that's just a rumor though. As of right now, I don't plan on lifting my truck. I do plan on regearing to 4:11 or 4:10 gears though and running 33s. I'd be running it with a K&N cai and flowmaster exhaust. So if you guys say its good, then I figured I'd go with the cs. Just curious if anybody knows if you can monitor tranny temps with the cs?

9. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

Yeah you can. The lean issue was with the 04-06 trucks running a chip and a CAI at the same time.

10. MyFX4Project

MyFX4Project TRUCKIT

Yes you can monitor tranny temp with the CS.

Im telling you, you can't go wrong with it. If you aren't throwing a s/c on it or any crazy stuff like that you won't need a custom tune. It'll wake your truck up like you wouldn't believe.

Oh yeah. Drop the k&n off the list and do the gotts mod. $200 price difference for same result.