My Train horn build, Nathan K5's

Discussion in 'Real Train Horns' started by J.Wal, Mar 14, 2011.

1. J.Wal

J.Wal Full Access Member

This is my install of Nathan K5HL on my 2007 F-150 screw.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will be purchasing a turn key kit from realtrainhorns.net | Real Train Horns , I have already talked to the guys there and they helped me decide on a kit.
    I will be installing a 8 1/2 gal air tank and two compressors, and I am planning on everything being installed under the truck. The K5s and air tank will be mounted where the spare tire goes and the two compressors will me mounted under the bead just in front of the rear axle on a bed cross member.

Tonight I got the horns ready to paint by taking them apart and masking off the manifold where the horns mount up, and I covered the Nathan serial number tag. I used Dupli-color Acetone to prep the surface and remove the dirt/ oil/ ect.

[​IMG]

Taped all 5 horn mounting locations, the mounting plate, the serial number tag, and the allen head screws
    [​IMG]

Self etching primer, Acetone, and painters tape( tip: get the 1 1/2" tape and the 1/2" tape, and a X-ACTO knife)
    [​IMG]

Do notremove the rubber gasket on the horn, just tape over it, just be sure not to remove it with the tape later.
    [​IMG]

It was easier for me to tape the outside edge with small pieces, use a knife to remove the over hang then tape the center
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is everything prepped, masked and ready for the self etching primer.
    [​IMG]

I then used 2 cans of the primer to apply about 3 solid coats of primer to all pieces.

Bells
    [​IMG]

Back plates, used tooth picks to plug the holes in the back.
    [​IMG]

Manifold
    [​IMG]

I left the diaphragms and cushions in there sets and wrapped them in shop rags so they would not get over spray on them.

I will be purchasing black gloss spray paint and silver spray paint. I am painting the inside of the bells silver while the outside will be black. I Have not decided if I will be putting a clear coat over it or not.

Test run of horns
    50da678b.mp4 video by jwaltonpix - Photobucket

I will update as I go. Will be ordering the kit on 03/18/11

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  2. yz85rider2002

yz85rider2002 Lowered Life

sounds like a good start man

3. DarkShadowSTX

DarkShadowSTX the "brat"

:popcorn:

4. VanoFord

VanoFord Banned

In my own imaginary world, where. Respect for wome
    Thats killer bro. I'd say no gloss, simply cuz it would match the rest of the matte black metal under the truck and wouldnt be as noticeable. gotta keep those suckers a sleeper to really scare people haha. nice work so far!

5. cowboy

cowboy Sheriff

Those are some big f'n horns man. Hope you got enough air to blow them.

6. iowaredneck

iowaredneck Administrator

sweet dood can't wait to see more

7. jlyoung08

jlyoung08 gumby

im jealous!

8. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

subscribed!

9. J.Wal

J.Wal Full Access Member

Thanks yall, I shouldnt have a problem with running out of air. The rule of thumb I have heard is one compressor can run up to a 6 gal tank, so 2 heavy duty tanks on 8 1/2 gal should keep my tank nearly full even if I dump the tank for a long time.

10. J.Wal

J.Wal Full Access Member

Ok I finished painting tonight. I used Dupli-color gloss black and Dupli-color Stainless Steel paint. Both covered well and I applied about 3 coats of each color.

[​IMG]

I sanded the primer with 800 grit paper them went over them with a micro fiber cloth.
    [​IMG]

I ran a line of tape around the bell so I could paint the inside of them with the SS paint.
    [​IMG]

Once I had all the bells inside painted I placed them over the heater to speed up the drying process.
    [​IMG]

I them placed each bell up side down on a shop cloth so I could paint the outside black without taping up the inside of the bell.
    [​IMG]

Here are all the bells and the manifold drying
    [​IMG]

Here is a close up
    [​IMG]

Here are all the bells painted up and tape removed
    [​IMG]

Not perfect but I think they look good.
    [​IMG]

Trying to figure out how to make the lettering and numbers stand out on the horns. I really want them to be SS too.
    [​IMG]

They will be assembled tomorrow. I did not have blue loctite to put them together tonight.

Last edited: May 22, 2011