03 F-150 5.4 engine swap questions!

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by C Denny Run*, Nov 14, 2015.

1. C Denny Run*

C Denny Run* Full Access Member

I recently had some coolant leak from my intake manifold/gasket failure (in the front through the water jacket into cylinder #1) This did bad things! I tried to just replace the manifold and gasket, but the damage had been done..

So I picked up a 2001 5.4 with 120k on it, with the trans, and transfer case for a screaming deal. Anyway, it has the aluminum intake manifold, and mine has the plastic one. There are several differences in the vacuum lines, and also in the main wire loom. The heater core lines are also different.

I plan on putting my new intake manifold on it, which I'm thinking will take care of the vacuum problem, and probably the heater core lines. I guessing that if I swap out my wire loom from my rig, to this new motor, it should work fine? I don't know..

Anybody know if a 01 5.4 is compatible in a 03? My understanding is that 2000-2003 are all the same, otherwise I would have not made this purchase. Any help would be very much appreciated!

Regards,

Chris

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  2. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

It's the same motor. They switched to the P.I. heads in 99 on the 5.4s

what damage was done to your original motor? I would want to clean up the replacement one and install it with the trans rebuilt and have everything practically brand new. 120k is about 1/2 way through the life on those motors

3. C Denny Run*

C Denny Run* Full Access Member

thanks for the reply AK. Long time no see!

Boy do I wish I could rebuild everything. Unfortunately I don't have the funds. I plan on replacing the motor with this one, and keeping the younger transmission on the shelf, for future use. I'll clean this puppy up as good as I can without media blasting it.. As I don't have a media blaster.

My old motor ended up with a really bad knock on startup, which I figured was due to coolant in cylinder #1, and needed to burn off (I didn't know that's what was causing the misfire) This happened slowly. Towards tha last few day I drove it, it would knock for a minute and go away, then run great. I had a warranty, so I took it to a shop. They discovered the intake leak, and showed me the coolant in cylinder #1. The warranty wouldn't cover it, so I took it home.

I figured I could replace the intake/gasket, and maybe be good. That didn't work out! I started it up, and cylinder #1 made horrendous noises. I vacuumed out the coolant, and gave it lube, but nonetheless, the coolant had caused things to go south.

And here we are!

Chris

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  4. Bdons-SD

Bdons-SD Anti spark plug!

It's them damn Canadian trucks I tell ya. They rag em out and sell them south of the border to some unsuspecting sap...

And to think, just a few short weeks ago were were swapping out coils, plugs, and injectors thinking it was something simple. I don't think you ever told me why your warranty didn't cover it.

I think there was a thread a few weeks ago where someone was asking about motor compatibility but I'm not sure how in depth it got.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. northernexo

northernexo Junior Member

I don't think that's very fair to say, I could say the same thing about my buddies that go down to the USA and bring back a "mint truck from Texas" etc. Etc. And are fixing it 3 months later.

I think it's just the people that you deal with. There are good people and assholes on both sides of the border.

My 01 expedition just passed the 370,000 kms with the original motor and transmission never taken out or rebuilt and it still drives like new. I just finished driving it 6000 kms across half of Canada, loaded to the gills with some really steep stretches of highway.

I bought it 2 years ago with 340,000 kms on it for 1600$ (cdn) from a really good person that took great care of it, so I really think it depends on who you deal with.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  6. Bdons-SD

Relax, it was a joke... Chris is a very good friend of mine. He used to live close by but recently moved just south of the Canadian border about 2 hours away. I'm always making fun of him for leaving me here and moving to Canada.

I thought your people had a sense of humor :jester:

Now i can scratch "be racist to a Canadian" off my list of things to do today.

The truck is from Canada though if remember correctly ha ha.

Crap! Now that I think about it, my wife's 05 expedition is from Canada....

7. northernexo

I wasn't mad at all, I just thought that your comment wasn't completely accurate so I put my 2 cents in.

I do wish I lived in climate like the southern/western states, I'm sick of winter in Canada, and the amount of salt that is used on the roads is obscene, if you have a vehicle you like and want to keep you can only festive it a few months a year.

8. Bdons-SD

My comment wasn't accurate at all. It was completely ass of nine. Ha ha

Hey! Do you have any room for American refugees for after the 2016 elections? I'd like to put in a reservation for 4 please.

9. northernexo

Lol, theres allot wrong with our government also. It's so beautiful in the united States, it blows me away every time I visit. The roads and highways etc. Are head and shoulders better than ours too.

10. Bdons-SD

Come on down to WA. You will not be impressed. I think they've raised our tabs and gas tax 4 times (2 times each) In the last 5 years for "road maintenance, and congestion relief". Our infrastructure is one of the worst in the country, and Seattle-Tacoma traffic is worse than it's ever been. But we have plenty of bike lanes and rainbow painted crosswalks!