03 F-150 5.4 engine swap questions!

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by C Denny Run*, Nov 14, 2015.

1. northernexo

northernexo Junior Member

The last time I was there was in 94, I was just a kid but I remember my dad having a hell of a time dealing with the freeway traffic.

This was before GPS, Idk his the hell he found his way around back then lol.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

2. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

Ok, I get where you're coming from. Have you done a compression check on it yet? I would toss in new plugs and coils while it's out. I can't remember what years liked spitting out sparkplugs, but you may want to timesert all 8 cylinders while it's easy also.

3. C Denny Run*

C Denny Run* Full Access Member

Thanks AK! Yeah, I have new plugs that I just put in the other motor, and will keep all the COPS in case some go out. I'm going to have a ton of spare stuff now, ha ha. On long trips I'll probably keep a starter, some COPS and an alternator with me. I think they fixed the plug issue in the 2002-2004 heritage motors. So yes, I'm kinda downgrading. But for $850 for a low mile motor, trans, and transfer case, I really couldn't say no. I'll more than likely sell it in a couple years once I have some equity in it, and maybe get a 7.3, or 09-up f-150.

As for my truck, yes it's from C-to-the-anada, and it's pretty rusty underneath. I can't blame Canada for the manifold, but I might anyway:ROFLJest: Brendon, I sure do miss having you around to work on my truck for me! You guys should move to Bellingham, so we can start a band again!

Chri

4. C Denny Run*

Well, I just ran into a big problem. Where my oil filter goes, is something else that isn't an oil filter! I know the 97-99's had oil filters in the front bumper.... Or at least my 97 did, and they're the same gen. Does this mean I was told I bought a 2001, but got a 99-? I can't believe I didn't notice that there is no place for a oil filter.

Son of a bich!

Chris

5. C Denny Run*

Or maybe this had a filter relocate kit on it? If so, does anyone know if I can just get the factory filter mount and have it line up with my 03 setup?

Chris

6. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

Post up some pics. It sounds like a filter relocation and you should be able to remove it.

7. C Denny Run*

That's what I'm thinking. I forgot my phone at home, so I'll have to post it later. It has coolant lines going to and from it, and two ports on the side, I imagine for the remote lines to the filter. Hopefully my 03 filter bracket bolts up.

8. C Denny Run*

Well, I have the motor puller, and everything swapped over. It's all gone fairly smooth! What a pain in the neck though.... Ha ha

Since this engine has sat for over two years, should I spray some PB blaster in the cylinders prior to the install, and turn it over several times to get things lubed? I've turned it over, and everything feels good.

Thanks,

Chris

9. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

Yes. Soak it down with PB Blaster and let things sit. It would suck to have a stuck ring or something ruin everything

10. Bdons-SD

Bdons-SD Anti spark plug!

Glad to hear it's going good, man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk