03 F-150 5.4 engine swap questions!

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by C Denny Run*, Nov 14, 2015.

1. MyFX4Project

MyFX4Project TRUCKIT

Hmmm that's not good.

Did you do anything to the heads or did you just put a long block in?

2. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

Do you have a mechanics stethoscope? It's probably a lifter

3. C Denny Run*

C Denny Run* Full Access Member

I just put a used longblock in. I do have a stethoscope, but didn't have anyone to give me a hand last night (kill the engine if things got worse). I have a retired Ford mechanic on the way right now to take a look with me. Fingers crossed it ain't nothing big!

4. C Denny Run*

So it looks like I didn't install my torque converter properly, and that's what's making the sound. SOB!

5. Roush PSD Interceptor

Roush PSD Interceptor 7.3L Straight Piped Diesel

Least it's not engine releated.

Galaxy S4 Cetane Powered Android

6. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

Shouldn't be too hard to fix it. Just yank the trans back and tighten things up

7. MyFX4Project

MyFX4Project TRUCKIT

Torque converter needs to be sealed tight against trans with plenty of fluid inside. The flexplate should also make a ting sound when you tap it with a hammer. If not then something is binding somewhere. Just triple check all your bolts and make sure things are straight with the bell housing and you should be good to go.

****, at least you have a ford mechanic there. He should be able to point you in the right direction.

8. C Denny Run*

Sounds easy! Ha ha. I have to pull my intake again. and deal with that pain in the ass upper/mid bell housing bolt that took me an hour last time! :supergay:

yeah, so I must not have seated the TC into the front pump. It's possible that I screwed up the pump. Part of me wants to just replace the pump, and TC while I'm at it. Boy would I be livid if I have to rip this shi7 apart again. I'm getting pretty tired of this whole deal man.

I appreciate your guy' thoughts and insight! Sorry if I'm coming off as a cynic.

Chris

9. MyFX4Project

MyFX4Project TRUCKIT

I know exactly how you feel brotha. That's just how these things go. You work, work, work and it still doesn't run. Unless you're Danny, then things go smooth as silk and you've got a 400hp monster on accident. These things take time and if you aren't experienced (like me) these situations are where you learn for next time.

Just step away from it for a bit and go back to it later. Wrenching on these things day in and day out can't get stressful fast.

10. C Denny Run*

Words of wisdom! I'm a pretty mechanical guy, and love a good challenge. In fact I'm a CNC mechanic/machinist/welder by trade, so this kind of thing is usually really fun. I suppose I wouldn't be so off-put if I didn't have to do all this outside in Western WA, in the freezing temps, rain, wind, dark at 4:15PM. And like you, this is my first engine swap. Sometimes you just have to breathe deep, and keep chugging along!