1997 Ford F150 Periodically Starts

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Kevin Anderson, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Kevin Anderson

Kevin Anderson Junior Member

Before I replaced the lock cylinder, I would always getting the dinging when I opened the door without the key in the ignition. With the new lock cylinder the dinging has stopped.

Now, sometimes it starts and runs great; sometimes I turn the key and all the warning lights on the dashboard appear, but the clock and the overhead light goes off. When I turn the ignition key I hear one solid click, but the engine doesn't crank at all and no repetitive clicking.

Have replaced the lock cylinder so far. Looking on forums for other solutions. Any help or suggestions for what to focus on next is greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  2. Roush PSD Interceptor

Roush PSD Interceptor 7.3L Straight Piped Diesel

The key lock switch actuates a mechanical electrical switch lower down on the steering column.
    Big Yellow, Gray with a yellow stripe and other smaller wires will junction into this large master switch.

You will need to remove the lower dash panel, also called knee kick panel, to access it's location.

I would look there for your problem.

CRC makes an electrcal contact cleaner spray available at Walmart or most parts stores.

Spray liberally into the black or blue plastic electrical master switch to clean those bass contacts while moving the key switch through it's entire range several times.
    Hope this helps.

@Kevin Anderson

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017