2004 F150 four door, six ft bed, new to me... has issues....

Discussion in '11th Generation F Series : 2004 - 2008' started by Schaeff58, Mar 18, 2023.

1. Schaeff58

Schaeff58 Junior Member

Posted a howdy here: https://www.fordfullsize.com/threads/new-to-me-2004-f-150-crew-cab.12855/

Hello all!
    I am hoping that some of you can help point me in the correct direction on getting this truck up and running. It has sat at least a year maybe longer. In very good shape, a little rust and tail gate is well used but functional.

This is a 2004 F150, 4x4, Crew cap with 220k plus miles on it. Pretty clean for the year etc.

Buddy of mine and I threw a battery in it and it fired right up! It lopes at idle, but runs smooth, no bad noises that I have heard so far. Oil very dirty.

Trans was slipping right off the bat cked the fluid, it was not registering on dip stick. We put about 1.5 quarts in it and it seemed to be full. Drove it about 20 miles home. It would slip going up a hill in drive..., but ran fine in second.... that's how we got it home. Also it died several times on the way home for no real reason, and threw no codes. It would die, put it in neutral, start it and back into second.

I am afraid the trans may be bad, but maybe its just gummed up from sitting for so long????

Any thoughts or suggestions on how to proceed would be helpful I can do the work, minus rebuilding the trans... So not afraid of that. Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Schaeff58

IMG_4909.jpg

IMG_4910.jpg

IMG_4911.jpg

2. Schaeff58

Schaeff58 Junior Member

Ok I lied, just drove it.. it threw two coeds: P0174, P0171.... of course I looked these up, low fuel trim... so saw some vids,,,, MAF sensor, and one guy found a bad pcv valve hose... I will ck those out and report back.

I am just starting this journey with this truck only had it a few hours... Looking forward to getting it straight.

3. Schaeff58

Schaeff58 Junior Member

Ok cked out a few things.... the air filter was not too bad, but blew it out, hose too..... MAF looked ok...The connections at both ends at filter and throttle body were not great, very loose, so after I cleaned the throttle body with some carb stuff I tightened it all back up.

Started looking things over. Found a hole in the timing chain cover, right side (passenger side)...see pic below #4916... so to repair that can I use some marinetex or jb welt and clean it up real well and put the epoxy on there? LOL I am half way serious.... my buddy who helped me get truck home suggested that.... If I have to get in there because there are timing chain parts in the oil, then Ill get another cover.

In the next photo you can see the belt tensioner. The belt seems to be almost touching the timing cover???? as if the belt is just a tad to big. Any thoughts could it be from a busted timing chain component, guide or something? I have seen that before. Also the throttle is very sensitive... a very light press of the accelerator will cause it to spin the tires in gravel, like my driveway.....

Took it for another ride, cant go far no tags yet... and trans did seem to slip at first, but then it seemed to get better and did not slip and shifter and drove ok.... could the trans just be gummed up? It was parked on a bit of an angle, drivers side up higher... not sure if that could be a cause...

To be continued...Done for today.

IMG_4916.jpg

IMG_4917.jpg

Last edited: Mar 18, 2023
  4. Schaeff58

Schaeff58 Junior Member

I did a little research on other forums and found that the #2 idler pully in the diagram, broke off.... so looking for a new timing chain cover. Not gonna be able to JB weld that.

IMG_1458 (1).jpg