2011 FX2 5.0 F150 Review

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by zchpro, Jan 11, 2011.

1. zchpro

zchpro Full Access Member

2011 5.0 F150 Review
    Today I got a chance to test drive the new 2011 f150 FX2 Screw with the 5.0 liter engine while I was at the dealership buying my IWE Solenoid (See my other thread). Here’s a few of my thoughts on it comparing it to my 2004 f150 fx4 Scab and 2010 xlt Screw.
    First Impressions:
    WOW! Jumped in the drivers side seat and just felt how comfortable the setup was and how user friendly I could tell it was going to be. Talked to the salesman for a little bit and he explained some of everyone’s concerns with the new 2011 (like if the tranny felt better, how responsive the engine was, electric power steering). He said he would go get the keys and be back so we could drive it. While he did that I popped the hood and took a look. The engine bay feels naked in comparison to both of my family’s f150s. The engine setup is comparative to that of chevy and dodge in the sense that there is plenty of room. What I liked and hated about the engine bay was the fuse box is front and center in the bay which means no more kick panel fuse box in passenger side but also means one of the primary things in small impacts and everyday mechanical work that would be to break is something in the fuse box or electrical (just a thought). Anyway the airbox has been moved to the side of the engine bay like other truck companies have done and it no longer sits on top of the engine.
    Appearance: There was a thread on the new 2011 f150s asking whether or not some of the packages now came with harley heads and tails, let me clear this up for you, yes they do. Or at least the FX2 I test drove did. Other than that Ford has made the exhaust outlet slightly larger and slapped an obvious chrome cap on the end of it. Just from eyeballing it I would say its about 2.5-3”. Other than that everything is the same.
    Interior: FX2 sound system is far superior to that of our 2010 XLT (although ours is basic and this FX2 had the sound system package). New lights now illuminate the back of the 2011 dashboard, for those who hated the green on the pre 2009 models it no longer exists to my knowledge. The one thing I did not like about the interior is the new turn signal, it’s the same shape and placing as the regular f150s that you’re used to how ever it doesn’t hold in position while the blinker is on but rather after you flick it up it slides back down and holds the blinker until you turn. While this might be a convenience each time I had the blinker on and didn’t make a sharp enough turn the blinker would stay on, however when I went to push it down to turn it off, rather than changing from the right signal to off it went straight from a right blinker to a left blinker and vice versa, it’s a little bit touchy to get used to but not a big deal, the other thing I noticed is that a few times it turned off on my while I was changing lanes on the highway even though I didn’t turn my wheel far enough to trigger it to turn off.
    Screens: the 2011 comes with a new screen that’s a little more upgraded compared to the 2009-2010 models for the one between the tachometer and speedometer. Mine was set to display AVMP and CMPG and the display is pretty fancy but basically does the same thing for all that it displays. Backup camera, sync and all the 2009-2010 goodies are still there. Navigation comes standard on FX4 FX2 Harley Kings Ranch and Platinum and so does the 6” touchscreen (might be 8”).
    Powertrain: the engine while quiet is very powerful, much more than either of my 5.4 f150s even though my 04 has a programmer on it. I’m confident that the FX2 could whoop either one of my f150s with no problem. Tranny shift points are smooth, no dreaded whiplash for the 1-2 and 2-3 shift points like in the 2009-2001. The gear selector also allows the driver to choose the typical P, R, N, D, 1, and 2 however the FX2 also allows you to select manual mode which is the point labeled M in between D and 2. Manual mode is a great feature for those with a lot of towing, especially if you’re going to be going up and down hills or mountains. The best part about Manual is that it still shifts just as good as when in D rather than the possibility of it shifting hard like some other trucks with the same feature.
    Electrical power steering: not bad, not bad at all. Its certainly is a different feel compared to standard power steering and it probably could be just something else to go wrong but I like the fact that when I’m at idle no matter how fast I crank the wheel the RPMS don’t dip in order to sustain the power steering.
    Telescoping steering wheel is definitely a plus in my book although the one thing I noticed is that being a tall person (6’5”) I couldn’t quite see the entire dash with the steering wheel in any position, personally I had to stoop down to see gauges like fuel level, oil pressure, engine temp etc.
    All around, this truck is one of the best f150s I’ve ever driven and the suspension which I forgot to mention was very smooth but it could have been the Pirelli scorpions I was rolling on.

2. westtnfx4

westtnfx4 The Alpha Administrator

:cheers: nice review dood.

3. VanoFord

VanoFord Banned

In my own imaginary world, where. Respect for wome
    very very nice review. I am actually contemplating a 2011 Ecoboost, and I am really glad to hear all this great news, not from a magazine, but a regular Joe that happens to tell it like it is. Thanks man!

4. cowboy

cowboy Sheriff

yeah like the other guys said. Glad to hear a review from somebody.

5. tater

tater I WANT IT ALL

agree with everyone. it nice to get info from someone and the the tv or mags. i was going to test drive a new one as soon as the dealer ship get a truck that i want to drive

6. zchpro

zchpro Full Access Member

Thanks guys, that's partly why I did it. I had heard such great things about the 2011s I wanted to see for myself

if you're contemplating the EB then don't drive any of the 2011s until your dealer gets the EB in. Otherwise you'll probably buy the one you test drive without comparing the rest. Trust me if I had the cash I would have bought the 5.0

oh and as a side note the salesman says that when driving while pulling a trailer with a steady side wind the wheel after a while adjusts the steering so that rather than holding it in a turned position it will slowly move back towards center even though its steering into the wind. Seems kind cool but dangerous at the same time

7. AZFX4

AZFX4 Junior Member

Nice review!

And the steering wheel with it's own mind sounds scary...

8. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

I just drove a 2011 Lariat 5.0 with 15mi on it yesterday. That thing is so nice! It had the upgraded sony package with the big screen in the dash and the little one in the gauge cluster. There were so many buttons I didn't know what to do with myself lol.

The 5.0 has tons of power, but shifts a little softer than I like. I had the same feeling about the 04-08s and fixed it with my Edge, though I'm sure only having 15mi had something to do with that. It showed 16mpg after a quick jaunt through town, and was reading 22-23 at 55mpg.

The light wood interior wasn't something I cared for, but didn't really hate it either. The seats were super comfortable and the screw with the flat back seat had tons of room. Also super quiet! At 60mph me and the dealer were talking just like we had in the parking lot. No road noise or anything.

I was able to get on it real hard once and watched the tach almost hit 6000 and listen to the beautiful sound that 5.0 makes.

I think that once my truck gets another 150k miles on it, I might just get a new one. and the 5.0 has my vote!

Interesting side note. They only had 3 5.0s on the lot, 2 Lariats and 1 XLT, and only had a couple more ordered for the rest of the summer. Everything else was going to be the Ecoboost. The dealer said it seems that Ford is really pushing the Eco and wanting to sell as many as possible.

9. rrogers

rrogers Supporting Member

thanks for sharing

10. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

No problem. I'm sure even the 6.2 would feel like a snail on molasses compared to your rig though lol