4wd Issue

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by MyFX4Project, Feb 4, 2014.

1. MyFX4Project

MyFX4Project TRUCKIT

Ok guys so something is wrong...

My truck started grinding a while ago kind of sounded like a bad hub. Just a scratch every rotation of the wheels though. Figured id put it off until it was warmer. Now its gotten worse I assume.

Snow storm today and I put it in 4wd. Drove fine, same grinding but slightly worse. Got done at gym, drove home and by the time I went to gfs house my truck was grinding BAD. I didnt even wanna roll forward just because of the terrible grinding noise. Get to my house to visually imspect everything, like brakes, cv axle, etc. Everything looks good.

Put it in 2wd to see if that made a difference. Still same noise. Put it back in 4wd and my ABS light comes on. Put it in reverse, press on throttle, it revved up, the speedo moves up to 40 but im sitting still. As soon as it put it in gear my speedo sat at around 10 but I wasnt moving. Took it out of 4wd and I moved. ABS light still on.

So basically im thinking transfer case at this point. Maybe vaccuum lines? Something isnt right though and im driving 20 miles to work in a snowstorm tonight... in 2wd. Any ideas?

2. AKBray907

AKBray907 SUPER *********.

im guessing possibly a hub went out, those suckers can grind hard. Jack it up and see how easy it is to spin front tires

3. MyFX4Project

MyFX4Project TRUCKIT

Thats my first thought. Gonna leave the truck at the shop tonight since I cant make it to work. Even in 2wd I get a loud clunk if I rev it up too high and its scaring me. Gonna have the shop look at it whenever they can since theres a foot of snow on the ground and I have to get to work.

4. iowaredneck

iowaredneck Administrator

Sounds like a bad hub. Smart not driving it

5. AKBray907

AKBray907 SUPER *********.

the revving part makes it almost sound like a tranny issue, possible broken blade on the tc or something internal tranny. wouldnt be the first issue youve had with their work

6. MyFX4Project

MyFX4Project TRUCKIT

Well when I rev it up to move its not spinning my tires in 4x4 but in 2wd it moves fine so my thought was transfer case initially.

The jeep did awesome in the snow!! Haha

7. cowboy

cowboy Sheriff

If your ABS light came on it's your wheel bearing. Had it happen on my 04.

8. MyFX4Project

MyFX4Project TRUCKIT

Ahh well its at the shop now. Gotta pay them money to tell me that its a wheel bearing/hub even though my guts telling me it is.

My hubs are actually still under warranty through 1Aauto.com if they are bad. Which leads to the question... try another brand or replace hubs again in 1.5 years?

9. cowboy

cowboy Sheriff

Talk 1Aauto and see if they had a lot of returns on that bearing. The one that went out on me was the same way. See if they know about faulty bearing and if they fixed the issue. If not try another brand. I've always had pretty good luck with Timken bearings.

10. MyFX4Project

MyFX4Project TRUCKIT

Both front wheel bearings were shot. Play in the drivers side and my wheel was bound to fall off at some point on passeneger side. He said after they took the axel nut off the whole thing was shredded.

Bad bearings destroyed my pads and rotors so im getting new brake parts too. He is gonna charge me his cost for parts and then of course the costly labor fees associated with me being a lazy ass and hating the cold weather :mad:

At least ill have my truck back today.. thank god.

Hubs it is for anyone that guessed it. That was my gut instinct and I was right. Ill be having a talk with 1Aauto about their hub quality, warranty, etc.