83 351W bump stick

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by justruckin, Dec 1, 2022.

1. justruckin

justruckin Full Access Member

ok .... just going to say it ... im a AMC/mopar guy.. that being said i have built some 289's that would twist 8k and still be making power up there. what i working on now is my 76 shorty. it has a 83 351W HO in it and looking to do something to liven it up a bit.
    not going to do anything worth swapping heads over but do want to do something.
    from what i know about sbf heads the spent gas ports kinda suck and is the weak spot.
    what i have now parts wise are a performer rpm air gap dual plan with a 1 inch open Willson spacer. 625 afb. 600 seems to be the good cfm for a stock mill but with the intake and long tubes i should be ok.
    4.10 gears with a mini spool in the 9in rear and 28 in tall tires. (and ya it wheel hops bad)
    now i have a set of full roller 1.6 rockers but not sold on useing them. so
    any input on a cam is what im after. a nice sounding one would be a nice thing but im more into something that would work more than sound good. if i was just after a lopeing mill id put a 292 in it.
    i have figured that anything over a 500 lift would be a waist with the stock head but maby more deration would be better..
    should i go to the D7's over the early (non smog chamber) D8's i have now?
    so what are yall running in your street mill's without a bunch of head work???
    thanks

Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
  2. 4ctNduction

4ctNduction Truck of the Century

i thought you were speaking spanish there for a second haha. My 85 has a 351w in it but i know nothing more about it than that haha. what are you wanting out of the truck in the long run ?

3. justruckin

justruckin Full Access Member

nothing to crazy.... lil low 13's street truck to go get parts in. i did blow up the 4.10's so we put the 3.08's back in. il probly put 3.90's in it in the end ....
    i did put the air gap on it ... and boy did it wake this thing up. found a problom with the old intake that exsplaned the stuff that was going on with it. now to get the carb dialed in ...