A couple of electrical questions.

Discussion in 'Audio & Electronics' started by White_Lightning, Jan 29, 2012.

1. White_Lightning

White_Lightning dunno comere from sickem

1. In a extended cab with a box under the back seat, where is the best location to mount a amp?

2. Is it possible for a bad ground to make a amp go into protect mode?

3. And is it possible for the hot wire coming from the battery to the amp to get too hot or something like that? Because my battery has a little corrosion on the positive post. And the wire going to my amp was corroded to the point it was getting no power and i had to cut about 4inches of the end to get down to some good copper. So should I get a whole new wiring pack and rewire everything with bigger gauge wire or is there a fix for this?

Sent from my piece of shat.

2. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

You can usually mount the amps behind the back of the rear seat or under the middle front seat

Probably, no real clue though :jester:

yes. I'd get a new wire from the Battery all the way to the amp. You could solder on a new piece, but you're dealing with audio... new 2gauge all the way :peace:

3. White_Lightning

I was thinking about mountin it under the middle console on the inside of it kinda. And i thank ive got 8 or 6 gauge on it now.
    But thanks buddy i was just tryin to get some second opinions on the whole ordeal.

4. 97madness

97madness Full Access Member

Under pass or drivers seat for the amp. Under the console, or behind the back seat (no room for one) they wont get any airflow. And probably over heat. Or you can mount under the back seat, if your box doesnt fill up the whole area back there.

5. Roush PSD Interceptor

Roush PSD Interceptor 7.3L Straight Piped Diesel

Suggest a 4 gauge minimum power wire. Most Walmart sell 4 ga. kits with a 100 amp fuse and the wire end terminals needed to hook to the amp.
    Google search of "self protect mode" turned up the possibility of a poor ground as a possible factor.

Wiring two 2 ohm speakers parallel or one dual voice coil @ 2 ohms on each coil type speaker could cause a self protect or overheating problem.
    It may sound louder but most amps are not rated at a 1 ohm speaker load.

Clean the contact area where the ground wire touches the metal of the chassis, bare metal needed, use sand paper, or a wire brush, dremel tool whatever, paint can prevent a good ground. Usually it's a bolt and nut the ground wire ring terminal is connected to, use a star washer first then the wire's ring terminal then a flat washer then the nut, tighten but not too tight.

After the battery terminals are cleaned and a good connection made for the power wire, coat the exposed metal of the battery terminals lightly in axle grease to prevent corrosion.

Amp installs are done where it's easier to reach the wiring to the amp but also hidden from a thief's eye sight. If your amp is installed in a limited air movement area, a small 12 volt fan like a 4 inch wired into a separate switched hot wire could be used to cool the amp. DO NOT use the amp's remote turn on wire for this, the fan draws to much current and will burn out the remote amp turn on circuit (blue wire) from the radio.

Found this vid gives an idea of how to soldier ring terminals onto a wire, you could also use an electric soldering gun instead of a torch.
    The ring terminal for a 4 ga. wire will be smaller than these but this gives the idea of how to do it. We used to practice soldering in electronics class and were graded on the quality of our connections.

How to Solder battery terminals - YouTube

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  6. White_Lightning

I had my amp mounted under the pass seat and it went into protect mode i thought maybe it couldnt breath under there but maybe its jus corrosion on the battery and a bad ground...
    Thanks for all the tips guys much appretiated.