Acoustic Dampening

Discussion in 'Interior' started by Justbrad, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Justbrad

Justbrad Full Access Member

I recently removed my rear seat on a 2002 F-150 Ext. Cab and put Dynomat on the bare metal wall and am pleased with the result. I am a bit short to do all doors and sidewalls and not inclined to pay 160 for the little more I need.

Has anyone substituted a roofing material called Grace shield? As I applied the Dynomat, other than the aluminum backing, it sure seemed like the same stuff to me, and should be just as functional. At 1/7 the cost.

Has anyone else tried this with good results?

2. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

There was a guy on one of the audio sites that did a comparision between sound deading and GRACE. Buy the real sound deading stuff, there are some cheaper ones than Dyanmat out there.

Also, you don't have to cover 100% of the metal for it to work, lay out stripes and cover about 70%, you won't notice the difference and it'll be a lot cheaper.

3. Justbrad

Thanks Will... I compared them today and they are not the same. I finished what I could with what I had and just took a short test ride with all of the doors 80% covered and back wall completely in Dynamat. I don't need to do anything else... that stuff really does work. Most road noise is gone and all I have left is the nice rumble the V-8.

4. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

5. Justbrad

Wow... ask a question and you can get an answer on the internet. Lol.. he sure studied it in depth and I do believe.. i'll believe him.

6. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

No problem. I was considering doing the same thing with the GRACE after doing a couple roofs, but changed my mind when I saw his study. Just haven't had the time or $ to get the real stuff yet.

7. Justbrad

After reading his article I moved some of the Dynomat from the main doors to the floor in back. With scraps I covered maybe 20% of the rear floor. All I can say is.. wow! It may be expensive but worth every penny! I have very little, if any road noise coming from the rear now. Used as per his article and one bundle will do most of a pickup. The difference in the stereo sound alone is worth it.

8. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

That's good to hear. Makes me that more excited to do it on mine.

9. Justbrad

Man... if you're into music at all... you just gotta do it. The road noise being significantly diminished is well worth it and the main reason I did it. With the back seats out that metal wall howled. When I was well satisfied with the road noise being gone I tried the stereo... lol... there IS a reason to do it for sound too! I really had't even considered it. And now in my quiet cab cruising down the road my stereo is audiophile quality too. Killing the resonance on the door VASTLY improves the sound.

With one 160 dollar bundle you can really improve the sound in your rig. And it is easy to apply... much more forgiving than Grace ever was. I didn't have much problem removing the excess on the door, but it was only one day old. If I read him right he said anything over 30% coverage is overkill... some of mine is certainly completely dead... lol.

Keep me posted on anything you do. I hope this thread helps people looking to improve the sound of their ride.

10. Justbrad

The Dynomat door kit is 60 bucks. It's so easy to pull the door panels that it'd be a couple/few hour job doing all 4 doors. And it will vastly improve your stereo if you know why you are putting them where.

I really wished I had recorded the before and after road noise though. I do have a recording studio and it would have been great to post the actual decibel difference. The worst culprits for road noise in the cab come from my back doors (possibly not so for full 4 doors) and certainly everyone's bare back wall. The seat only absorbed so much. Night and day isn't an audio term... but it sure fits :)

What is your cab configuration... full four door or extended cab... hehe.. in that "I sure look like I belong in Alaska" truck?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015