Acoustic Dampening

Discussion in 'Interior' started by Justbrad, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Justbrad

Justbrad Full Access Member

Here's what I ended up with. Glad I moved some of the mat to the floor in the back. Pretty much put dynamite 100% on all doors and back wall. One pack would do a whole rig nicely if placed correctly. I will get a door kit and a roll of inch and a half tape. Some behind speakers and on outer skin of door, along with some on the front floor will make it perfect.

Attached Files:

2. MyFX4Project

MyFX4Project TRUCKIT

I wish my carpet was that clean.

One bad thing about buying a former work truck.

3. Justbrad

The photo bleached it out a bit but it really is a clean truck. The front seats look all but brand new after a good cleaning too.

Since it's running perfect and i'll be doing the final detailing today I'll start a "My truck" thread... complete with pichures in a day or two :)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  4. Justbrad

Here is a photo of the sound dampening material as it comes from the factory. It is the darker blue pattern across the back and the spots in front. It is a coating of some tough rubbery stuff and goes 'thunk' when you tap it. The carpeting and pad are designed to absorb sound and do so admirable. Adding Dynamat to the areas accessible by just folding back the carpeting improves the road noise significantly. In order of level of noise I found: Back wall and vents: Back doors: Back floor. The front doors have a sound absorbing mat too... works much better with Dynamat, and so does the stereo!

Attached Files:

5. Roush PSD Interceptor

Roush PSD Interceptor 7.3L Straight Piped Diesel

Did you use the wood roller to apply?

6. Justbrad

Yes... works like a charm. The stuff is actually easy to apply and fairly forgiving. Even after rolling it on it can be removed and replaced. It works due to it's tight bond with the metal, anything floating is worth very little. Only big prep thing is alcohol to clean the surface well.

If you do put some in the front doors... do something to blacken the silver behind the speaker openings.. it is noticeable.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  7. Justbrad

Hehehe... just compared my f-150 to my sister's brand new 2015 Explorer Sport on top of the big horn mountains. Yes, her 365 ponies are quicker but mine sounds better. Main point: we drove the same stretch of highway at the same speed and listened to her road noise and then her stereo. It was very quiet and nice.We did the same in mine. Her jaw dropped and I smiled when my rig was quieter and my stereo sounded better... cleaner w/much tighter bass. She will get a door/speaker treatment.

Yes, the expensive sound dampening material is worth every penny!

8. MyFX4Project

MyFX4Project TRUCKIT

I'm loving the feedback you're giving. I have a full system in my truck (4 door speakers and 2 10 inch subs) all wired to a 5 way amp so yes, it gets loud. But the clarity is more important to me and this is something that's worth looking into now.

Thanks for making me spend more money!!

9. Justbrad

You are going to b so glad I did! I kid you not, she has an awesome system but I instantly heard the bass distortion due to metal resonance just rattling the bass to pieces... compared to what I now hear in mine. Hearing is extremely subjective and until you hear it clean... you accept mud as okay.

I called a good stereo shop in her town and they charge 100 bucks per pair of doors. A 160 dollar bundle of well positioned Dynomat will do an entire cab. I just bought Dynomat due to Overhaulin'... same place I said "hey! I can make a truck exactly the way I want to". There are a couple other good brands of sound dampening material you could check out too but all the good ones cost what they cost :)

But it's your feedback that cost me money, my friend... hehehe... in one week it was 1k... sucked thru an intake into a chip and out the dual exhaust... hehe. So quickly did I forget about how much I spent when that little V-8 came to life and sounds so good!

Cheers!

10. Justbrad

Hey Thomas and Will... you guys got any threads with more pictures of what appear to be really good looking rigs?