advice needed

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by Rickgf250sd, Nov 3, 2021.

1. Rickgf250sd

Rickgf250sd Junior Member

hello, Rick here. new member
    2002 f250 sd 5.4L 2v engine. trying to find source of engine knock. At first only knocked at start up then quit after warm up then lightly at idle. Could hear it best in drivers side wheel well. Also it would get loader at acceleration and transmission up shifting esp 2nd to 3rd. Now it started getting worse, loader knocking and clattering all the time. Sounded like it was probably the timing chain and guides. So tore down the front of the engine, removed the timing cover and both valve covers. I don't see any obvious problems with chain or guides. Chain are tight. Cams look ok nothing looks bad. No metal or broken parts. Oil looks normal. My question is; to better determine where the knock is coming from, If I put harmonic balancer back on can I breifly start and run the engine with the timing cover and valve covers removed.
    Edit

2. Rickgf250sd

Rickgf250sd Junior Member

found this YouTube video where this guy starts and runs his engine with the timing and valve covers removed. he even revs it up. Also without the harmonic balancer installed
    here's the link