All Things HID

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by ak_cowboy, Jan 18, 2011.

1. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

Hopefully we can have a single place for all HID questions and avoid 100s of threads on the same thing.

First off, all HID kits are for *Off-Road Use Only* There are not any kits available for the F150 that are technically legal. That being said, will you get ticketed? Probably not, unless you're running over 10,000k (Blue/Purple/Pink) The most common are 6000k and 8000k and shouldn't give you any issues with local law enforcement.

Here's some pics to help explain the different colors. The color of the light is expressed in Kelvin. The highest light output is 4300/5000k and goes down from there. The bluer the light, the less you can see.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  3. rrogers

rrogers Supporting Member

i have a question and it might be a dumb one. i bought bi zenon hid so does this mean i should have a hi and lo just like my oem bulbs?

4. TFIDDLE

TFIDDLE VEEEE TEn

97-03 bulb size 9007

5. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

You will need a relay to prevent flickering and other issues, and it should be provided in most kits.

A Bi-Xenon kit allows you to have low and high beams. Unsure of other kits, but there is a big difference between high and low beams with the kit from Jon_To, which I highly recommend.

You may need to adjust the headlights after installing the HIDs. There is a small (4mm) bolt that is on top/back of the headlight that aims it up and down.

6. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

You also should disable Perimeter Lighting to prevent your HIDs from blowing.

What is perimeter lighting?
    When you press the unlock button with your keyless entry fob, the headlights come on for ~25 seconds. It is used to illuminate the exterior of the vehicle and give better visibility to the user while approaching the vehicle.

Why disable it?
    The perimeter lighting feature will, to be blunt, greatly reduce the life of your HIDs. The constant flickering on and off from the perimeter lighting causes unnecessary wear on the bulbs since they don't have time to properly warm up or cool down before their next use.

How to disable it.

2007 Ford F-150 Owner's Guide:

7. rrogers

i didnt get a relay but they are supposed to be bi hids. do i need a relay for both sides and how do i wire it?

8. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

Projectors
    Some people say that you have to have projector headlights in order to have HIDs.
    This is not true!
    Projectors provide a cutoff which help prevent flashing on coming traffic. They look cool, work well, but are very expensive. Also, having projector headlights on rough/bumpy roads is incredibly annoying to oncoming traffic. The cutoff constantly is up and down across your vision and is worse then a constant glare.

Here are a couple links for those interested in doing a Projector retrofit.

How to add Projectors
    How to Add HIDs to Retrofit Headlights

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  9. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

You only need a single relay. Mine came with one and just plugged in with everything else. There shouldn't be any splicing or soldering needed.
    What kit did you get?

10. rrogers

i bought them on ebay and were way way way too expensive cause i didnt know shit about hid when i bought them