Audio N00b here....

Discussion in 'Audio & Electronics' started by MyFX4Project, Aug 15, 2013.

1. 97madness

97madness Full Access Member

Keep your front seats, wall off the back. bwhahaha.

Thomas, I have the RE Audio subs (review coming soon) and for the price, I like them. They arent too hungry for airspace in the SRX line. Do ALOT of research on amps of your choice. I did mine after I purchased, and wished I had done more prior.

2. TFIDDLE

TFIDDLE VEEEE TEn

Massive nx5 is a pretty decent amp that does right around rated power. If you can find an older memphis big belle on craigslist that's a good option too. For an all around sub, I recommend PSI, Sundown, Skar, and Tantric.

Sent from my SCH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

3. MyFX4Project

MyFX4Project TRUCKIT

So can someone explain to me about the difference between 2 ohm and 4 ohm? I know it has something to do with your amp setup and how you're wiring the subs to the amp to get the most power out of them but I'm still lost as soon as it comes to numbers and which numbers will work with what.

Say I have a 5 channel amp..
    40 watts rms x 4 at 4 ohms + 500 x 1 at 2 ohms.

That means I have 40 watts going to door speakers and 500 watts going to subs.

But what do the ohms mean? Does it depend on the subs? Only 2 ohm subs will work with that amp?

4. 97madness

That's the power rating if your subs are wired to that ohm. You could run 4 ohm setup, but you would get less power to the sub. A 2ohm dvc sub would get you the "500" at 2 ohms. A 4ohm would probably get you roughly 250-300 i'd guess. You can run any ohm voice coil on the subs, but you need to look up how to wire it for the ohm load you want. If the amp supports it. Lower the load, hotter everything can end up getting during use. I run a 2 ohm on mine, and its not bad; But my amp likes to get hot.

As for the 40x4 at 4 ohms, I'm sure you would get 10 watts per speaker if you're running four speakers to it. Unless it states 160 watts (40x4).

I think I explained it right.

5. TLSF150

TLSF150 Full Access Member

Ohms are the resistance the subs have..

Your amp puts out 500 RMS @ 2 ohms so if you had 2 4 ohm subs wired down to 2 ohms you would get the full 500 watts.. but say you only have one 4 ohm sub hooked up.. then your amp is wired at 4 ohms and instead of getting 500 watts like you would expect your probably only going to get 250.. at the same time if you wired up 2 2 ohm subs to 1 ohm at a amp thats only 2 ohm stable youd get even more then 500 watts for anywhere between 5 seconds and a minute before your amp over heats and goes into protect mode lmao..

Crutchfeild has the best wiring diagrams for subs and amps.. I suggest looking at their page

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  6. MyFX4Project

MyFX4Project TRUCKIT

Thanka guys that actually helped quite a bit. It easier to understand coming from a regular persons words rather than reading an article online. Ill keep doin my research when I have spare time..

7. 97madness

8. TFIDDLE

TFIDDLE VEEEE TEn

For a single dual voice coil sub you should look at 4 ohm subs and 1ohm subs so you can end in a 2ohm load

9. MyFX4Project

MyFX4Project TRUCKIT

Alright guys, i think ive got a pretty solid set up here.
    Here we go...
    Subs - Amazon.com: Alpine SWA-10S4 10" Car Subwoofer: Car Electronics

Amp -http://www.amazon.com/Performance-KAC-7005PS-5-Channel-Bridgeable-Amplifier/dp/B007SKA9CY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1382624993&sr=8-2&keywords=kenwood+kac+7005ps

Speakers - Amazon.com: Rockford Fosgate Punch P1683 6 x 8-Inches Full Range 3-Way Speakers: Car Electronics

Wiring kit - Amazon.com: Power Acoustik AKIT-4 Amplifier Wire Kit with 4 Gauge 17ft and 3 ft Power Wires, 25 ft Speaker Wire, 17ft RCA and Turn-On Wire, 60A MAXI Fuse & Holder: Car Electronics

Adapters - http://www.amazon.com/Metra-72-5600-Speaker-Adapter-Vehicles/dp/B001OAB6BW/?tag=5336653606-20

I have a $159 towards an amazon purchase and this will all cost about $430... so ill really be only paying $270ish out of pocket for all of this good stuff. I think it will be a solid upgrade and fairly cheap too. Let me hear what you guys think?

(Dont remind me that a pair of retros is $270) :jester:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  10. TFIDDLE

TFIDDLE VEEEE TEn

Looks like a solid upgrade on the cheap!