Blown Head Gasket?

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by MyFX4Project, Sep 6, 2012.

1. MyFX4Project

MyFX4Project TRUCKIT

2002 FX4 Scab 5.4l 128k
    Heres the story..

I went mudding a few days ago and on the way back i had to pull over because it was getting too hot. I slowed down on a back road off of the highway to see if it would cool itself off. Well as i kept driving slow all of a sudden the temp gauge shot up to the red, and i immediately shut it off. I popped the hood and got out to look at it and my coolant was flowing out the top of the overflow tank. There was a small amount of smoke/steam on the drivers side. (Coolant hadnt been changed before me so it was brown and thick and looked like paint, it was on the list of things to do )
    I let it cool down and got some water to pour in until i could make it to the gas station. Didnt drive it for a few days and decided to buy all new parts for the system.
    I bought new upper hose, new lower hose, new overflow tank and cap, and a 170 deg. thermostat because it had been running too hot previously. All the parts were replaced last night, radiator and engine were flushed with a garden hose until clear then new coolant was added. Drove it around and the problem is still happening. I cant drive it for more than 20 min until it starts to get pretty hot.

I'm hoping the head gasket isnt the problem, but thats all i can think of and thats all that people have been telling me it is. What do you guys think? Im getting the head gasket tested on Saturday but cant stand not knowing whats going on!! :suicide:

This is the aftermath :peace:

Attached Files:

2. VanoFord

VanoFord Banned

In my own imaginary world, where. Respect for wome
    yea, sounds like a head gasket. check for oil loss as well, cuz if a gasket is bad, oil now has a way out. its a pain pullin all that to get to a head, but at least its not something internal and just a gasket issue...

3. MyFX4Project

MyFX4Project TRUCKIT

Could be, but i dont know if they head is warped or what not until i tear it apart. Hopefully i dont have too many things f***ed up in there. No check engine light though...

4. AK SNO RIDER

AK SNO RIDER Got Snow?

If it makes you feel any better, I'm pretty sure a head gasket is where my truck is leaking oil from...

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2

5. 01fiddy

01fiddy Full Access Member

Check your oil, if there is water in your oil then yes. Check your coolant, if there is oil in your coolant then yes. Start the truck and watch the water in the overflow tank, if there are bubbles then yes. Just a few options to check. But even if there are none of those doesn't mean 100% there isn't a blown head gasket. Hope that helps.

6. MyFX4Project

MyFX4Project TRUCKIT

Im pretty sure ive got the bubbles in my overflow tank...:hmm:

7. 01fiddy

01fiddy Full Access Member

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but chances are very high that the head gasket is blown....

8. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

Did you clean your radiator out also? If it's not getting airflow you'll start overheating almost immediatly.

9. iowaredneck

iowaredneck Administrator

is there coolant in your oil?

10. AKBray907

AKBray907 SUPER *********.

do you know that the coolant is circulating properly? could be a water pump wearing out not getting enough flow or a clogged passage with how ugly you said that coolant was you never know