Brake Question

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by 01Screw, Feb 27, 2013.

1. 01Screw

01Screw Full Access Member

I'm wondering where to start looking. I have solid pedal feel but its slowing down like I have four drum brakes.
    -I have 4wheel disc with powerslot rotors in the front with ebc green stuff pads, the rear are still oem.
    -I have done no recent work on the brakes
    -There is no pull to either side
    -There are no leaks and resevoir is full to line
    -very solid pedal with no fade under pressure

I don't believe there is a locked up caliper because of no pull. If the pads or rotors became glazed how would both sides happen at the same time?

I'm used to it trying to lock up and throw me through the window when I stop hard, now it seems like its coasting to a stop.

any ideas of what to check?

2. Pity7700

Pity7700 oh umm...uhh?

a solid pedal could be a brake booster issue.

i know there is a way to test the booster. ill look it up.

i think the test has to do with pumping the brake while the truck is off multiple times, on the final pump you need to hold he brake pedal all the way down, start the truck. if the pedal goes to the floor the booster is good. im pretty sure thats the test but ill have to check back through my brakes book.

3. VanoFord

VanoFord Banned

In my own imaginary world, where. Respect for wome
    i think the main issue is that you are running almost two different brake systems on your truck, one for the front one for the back. although all the calipers are the same, theyu both perform differently due to your set up.

The fronts should bite, stop on a dime, w/ the back just kind of hangin out and stopping when it should. you want all the brakes to be in sync, so even if you arent going to upgrade your rear rotors, upgrading the rear pads should be a minimal. This will allow the rears to have a bit more bite, making the front not work so much.

but then again, all of this was typed w/ a lack of coffee...

4. iowaredneck

iowaredneck Administrator

Mismatched pads are probably it just cause they are completely different but i woukd check brake booster as well

sent from area 51

5. cowboy

cowboy Sheriff

I would also check the brake lines. The rubber ones... If the lining inside it broken allowing them to bulge you would get a strong pedal but very little at the caliper.

6. Pity7700

Pity7700 oh umm...uhh?

this^^ could have a hose restricting flow to the calipers.

7. 01Screw

Thanks guys! I'm going to start with the booster first.... it just has that non-power brake feel to it. I've had my current brake setup for about a year and a half now and its never been a problem so far. also my antilock is non-op so its always stopped fairly quick.

Time to go check some crap I guess!

8. 01Screw

That was the plan at first! but then the drivers rear rotor hung up on the e-brake shoes and the little gear to back them off is stripped so I said screw it I'll do it later which turned into 'they aren't so bad how they are'........ I know I just need to get off my arse and get it done!

9. Pity7700

Pity7700 oh umm...uhh?

i just searched through my notes and book and could not find the test, it may have been a tip my instructor gave to us.

im pretty sure that is the test though, a stiff pedal can be caused by booster problems.

10. AKBray907

AKBray907 SUPER *********.

Your brakes should be fine how they are. You can have different setups an not have issues, how many millions of cars come with disc front an drum rear. Have you checked if they're clean? I've seen cv boots tear before an coat them in grease an that'll do stopping how you described