Buying Cylinderheads

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by davbell22602, Dec 23, 2011.

1. davbell22602

davbell22602 67-79 Ford Trucks #1

Does it matter which type of head I buy? Smog or no smog? I thought I had to buy new heads for my 390 but didnt after all. I came this option when searching for new heads. 1967 F100 w/68 390

2. Roush PSD Interceptor

Roush PSD Interceptor 7.3L Straight Piped Diesel

I know there is a difference on 360 heads if you have to turn in a core head for the core charge. Smog for smog and no smog for no smog. They are not interchangeable for cores but would fit the same block.

On the smog heads of an FE type engine there is a threaded smog fitting after the exhaust valve that goes to a rail tube type air injection smog pump system. The air injection was supposed to help reduce emission by injecting fresh air into the exhaust port before the exhaust manifold.

Most of the older engines I have seen people either crimp off the smog port tubing or plug them with a threaded cap. Reason they did that way was the air injection system tubing would rust away and instead of sourcing a part or paying the cost they would cap/crimp them off.

The difference is a big deal when you were in a EPA zone where emissions testing were mandatory.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  3. davbell22602

So what would happen if I smog head on a non smog system?

4. Roush PSD Interceptor

Roush PSD Interceptor 7.3L Straight Piped Diesel

The smog fittings would need to be plugged or there would be an exhaust leak there unless you want the OEM smog system with belt driven smog air pump and air injection tubing to all eight cylinders. I don't believe there is a emission testing on a 1967 model unless your area specifies it.

5. davbell22602

OK, I'll stick with non smog heads if were to buy a FE head. The smog heads are $35 cheaper than non smog heads. No emission inspection here wher I live at. Gonna use antique tags anyway.