Engine swap question

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by StormF250, Sep 2, 2015.

1. StormF250

StormF250 Member

Ok, so I found a truck that I am interested in, it is a 2001 F150, 4x4, reg cab, 7700.

It has a bad engine, and I thought I would do a little homework before I jump into this.

What are options for replacing the existing 5.4?

Would any 97-03 5.4 triton work?

How about a super duty 5.4 triton?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Administrator Staff Member

With the super duty, wouldn't you have to change the transmission to?

3. StormF250

StormF250 Member

I would think that it would bolt right up to the F150 transmission, but I suppose that could be a possibility.

4. Bdons-SD

Bdons-SD Anti spark plug!

As far as years go? I'm not sure what's compatible. I think the engines themselves are the same, but the wiring I s different. At least when I did work on my buddies 97 4.6 it had actuall coil packs, 4 plug wires, 1 for each side. And my 03 5.4 had the individual packs. Not sure if that was a difference by year or just a 4.6 thing.

I'm pretty sure a 2v 5.4 is the same regardless of the rig it's in.

5. MyFX4Project

MyFX4Project TRUCKIT

I recommend staying away from 97-98 engines. They are non pi engines which don't make as much power. I would suggest in looking towards a 99+ 5.4 with the plastic intake and aluminum crossover. Those are on 02s and 03s but the other ones will work just as well, just might develop a small leak over time.

As far as super duties go, the engines should be the same, but yes they use different transmissions. They will bolt up to your f150 transmission.

Depending on the 7700, it may have a 4r100 which is the upgraded transmission for higher payload (reason why it's a 7700).

I would stick to the latest model engine (03) you can since ford made little tweaks along the way to improve performance.