Explorer- 4.0 vs 4.6

Discussion in 'Explorers - Expeditions - Excursions - Broncos -Es' started by Bdons-SD, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Darth Bama

Darth Bama Administator Staff Member

Okay, flame away, but I have never been a fan of the Excursion. I know you guys love em, but they've always looked like school buses to me. :jester:

I like an Expedition, but that's as big and long as it goes for me. To each, their own.

2. Bdons-SD

Bdons-SD Anti spark plug!

I just like them cause they have a diesel ha ha

Sent from your Mom's house using Tapatalk

3. mack.threadkell.1999

mack.threadkell.1999 Junior Member

The 4.6 gets better Econ then the 4.0. The reason is the are similar size but the 4.0 is much weaker and has to work harder to move the vehicle

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Bdons-SD

This is what I figured. We ended up getting a 2.8 diesel jeep liberty. Ha ha

Sent from My Porcelain Throne using Tapatalk

5. liter of cola

liter of cola X tra L arge

I know this thread is older but I want to add my experience. I went shopping looking for a explorer only. So I drove a lot of em and did a lot of research. My opinion is go for a v8. Mileage isn't really any better than the 4.0 and you have plenty of power for towing or whatever. In my case i tow a boat. After research I wouldn't touch an 06 with a ten foot pole. Too many trans and cooling probs. Buy an 08 or newer and u won't worry about plug probs. I drove several 06-08 Eddie Bauers/xlts with asking prices from 15-17k. I had to travel a ways for my 09 xlt but I got it for 12k and got the v8 I wanted. 4.6 in the smaller explorer is a lot of power when u need it.

6. Bdons-SD

Ha ha, back from the dead! Ha ha hopefully the thread will help someone else. We sold the diesel liberty and bounced between a 4.6 09+ explorer or a 5.4 03+ expedition. Ended up with an 05 expedition Eddie Bauer. By the time the third row in the explorer was up, there was not enough trunk space for us. If we knew for sure we were stopping at 2 kids it would have worked. we can always downgrade if we don't have another, my wife hates driving a giant SUV. she would rather have an explorer but the extra room has already come in handy a lot and we've only had it for 2 months ha ha, she can't argue with that ha ha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. iowaredneck

iowaredneck Administrator

Same with my wife. Would rather drive an explorer but she does like the expy. We have three kids tho so we need the extra room

8. Bdons-SD

Ha ha, exactly! the expi is a tank, but I told the wife sick of buying cars because we decide to have another kid ha ha. She'll get used to the expi and learn to love it whether we have 2 or 3 kids. We'll drive it until it gets too much to keep fixing, then we can do the dealership dance again and pick something that fits her better at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. liter of cola

liter of cola X tra L arge

I really liked the expis I looked at but they are tanks! I didn't quite need that big. Have a daughter and two dogs the explorer is a huge upgrade over my single cab 5spd f150! Got the v8 in mine so pulling my boat isn't a problem at all

10. iowaredneck

iowaredneck Administrator

Nothing wrong with the explorer. Great vehicles in fact I probably should have kept ours instead of selling it