Factory roof mounted DVD tv info

Discussion in 'Audio & Electronics' started by VanoFord, Aug 19, 2012.

1. VanoFord

VanoFord Banned

In my own imaginary world, where. Respect for wome
    So how hard is it to wire one up? Do they need just a standard power/ground or something more? Would it work w/ my factory6 disc or do I need another unit? How does it mount/ bracketry? Here is the one I am lookin to get on eBay.

Item #110844879942

Thanks

2. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

You probably need a coax cable or at least the A/V cables to connect to your factory CD player. If it'll play dvds at all that is... you might be better off getting an aftermarket deck and going from there

3. Roush PSD Interceptor

Roush PSD Interceptor 7.3L Straight Piped Diesel

110844879942 | eBay

Refurb and no mounting hardware hmmm.
    I'd say at minimum you'll need switched power up there and ground could be picked
    up at the roof mounting point, probably where the cabin light was grounded.

Usually the over head cab light is deleted and the retrofit DVD units take it's place.

Figuring out the mounting hardware issue, bolts, nuts, screws, nylon standoffs
    or whatever makes it attach to the roof structural beam will be a prototype adventure.

Loosening the B-pillar trim covers to run the switched wire.

The way we did '97-2000 Expeditions was to use an old stock antenna for a stiff wire
    and tape the wires to be run to it, then feed them thru the hole left by the cabin light.
    Pushing the antenna toward the driver's side and pulling the wire off the antenna at
    the top of the B-pillar. Continued down the B-pillar and under the driver's entry
    threshold molding then to a switched accessory wire under the dash.

Some of the DVD units we installed required trimming of the headliner at the cabin
    light access hole to allow the mounting screws thru the headliner material itself.
    Sometimes a flat backing plate made the install easier by giving more surface area
    to mount the DVD to instead of just the narrow structural roof beam.

On more than one occasion installers had missed the structural roof beam and drilled
    thru the sheet metal of the roof. I can honestly say that never happened to me.

Looking at that DVD I do not see any dome lighting in it unless I'm missing something.
    If it doesn't it could be mounted to the rear of the factory dome light, but not to the
    point where viewing from the rear seat is restricted by mounting so far back.

Compatability with your factory 6-disc unknown.
    Pulling down your dome light and finding the matching plug in to this DVD would be a win-win.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  4. VanoFord

VanoFord Banned

why would my deck have to have A/V when this unit has a player/screen built in?

thanks for that info! I am actually in the process of removing my headliner for coloring so i'll hopefully find that extra plug (ford has been great having everything else already there, i.e. 4wd). There is another unit, Brand New OEM still in the wrapping for twice the price I am considering as well.

Having to fab up bracketry wouldnt be that difficult for myself. I would definitely love to see a factory bracket if I could. I'll tear into the truck some more when I get home tonight and hopefully its all there. Currently I have no back seat/back rest in the truck at all. :peace:

Thanks guys so far!

5. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

oh gotcha. i didn't bother looking at what it was :jester: If its a stand-alone player then I don't see why +/- wouldn't be all that you needed.

[​IMG]

6. Predatory Instincts

Predatory Instincts Bizkit Grabber

Switched power, ground and speaker wires at minimum. Most likely something from the interior light circuit as well for control backlighting.

Looks like there's 4 center screws and 4 outer push clips that hold the thing in place. The screws may not be an issue but those push clips sure will be.

7. VanoFord

VanoFord Banned

I cant seem to download the pic cuz ebay is being stupid here at work, but there seems to be a 32-pin plug in the back. is this for the factory system to connect to the head unit? Is that needed or will I just need to get my male plug from ford and wire it all up like i had to do my lariat push button?

If anyone knows anyone w/ a unit like this installed, tell them I need HELP lol.