FIX'ER UPPER

Discussion in '9th Generation F-Series : 1992 - 1996' started by OLD N IN THE WAY, Nov 19, 2020.

1. OLD N IN THE WAY

OLD N IN THE WAY Junior Member

So I'm looking at a 1997 F350 7.3 Power Stroke with 200,000 miles on it. The body and interior are clean and straight but the owner says the transmission is slipping and the injectors need replacing. Is a $4,000 price tag and good value? What additional cost am I looking at for the necessary maintenance? Looking for a good deal to call my own in the Denver area.

Thanks!

2. Ford for life

Ford for life Junior Member

I can tell you from experience for Virginia prices, the transmission removal, rebuilt Ford transmission, and installing the new transmission will be a little over $4,000. You will get an external cooler, which is why the transmissions fail (according to a close friend who is a Ford mechanic and replaced my transmission). I had a 1997 F350 7.3L that did not have any transmission issues, but the 2001 F250 7.3L did fail. The injectors, Motorcraft remanufactured from Rock Auto, will cost roughly $250 each plus shipping and plus any labor.

There are other considerations you need to think about. These are, part of the engine wire harness is under both valve covers, and they are a common failure. The Motorcraft FL-1995 oil filter is $11. The oil pan holds 15 quarts of oil. The air filter is about the same price as other engines. You will need to add a coolant additive by the manufacturers recommendations at specified intervals (this is extremely important). The fuel filter, which must be changed at specified intervals, will cost you close to $30 for a Motorcraft FD-4595.

I am not trying to sway you in any way, but your $4,000 truck is now $10,000 before you can start driving it (just for the transmission and the injectors). If you have never owned a diesel truck before, there are more maintenance items than there are for gas trucks, and the costs are higher too. But, you have an engine, if taken care of, will probably outlast the truck. I hope you find this information helpful. I love the 7.3L and the body style of the 1997 F30. The Navistar International motor is basically bullet proof as far as internals.

Roush PSD Interceptor likes this.
  3. OLD N IN THE WAY

OLD N IN THE WAY Junior Member

Thank you for your input. Between you and a friend who owns diesels for his ranch trucks, I think I am out of the diesel truck seeking business.
    Thanks again

Roush PSD Interceptor likes this.