FXing things up: the build thread

Discussion in '11th Generation F Series : 2004 - 2008' started by FXd_up, Sep 4, 2014.

1. FXd_up

FXd_up Junior Member

Exhaust:

Since I live in California, I fall victim to smog laws. So for me that means no long tubes or cat deletes. So I picked up a set of JBA Cat4ward headers which are Cali legal. This has been one of my favorite upgrades. Here's pics from the install.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Before
    2004 Roush Supercharged F150 Stock exhaust w/ 3in…: http://youtu.be/hL4E8TC4pJs

After
    2004 Roush Supercharged F150 w/ JBA Cat4ward head…: http://youtu.be/_5hP-NijkgE

I still need to get this thing over to JBA to put it on a dyno and dial things in. It'll sound better once I do.

2. FXd_up

FXd_up Junior Member

It's been a learning experience haha. There's definitely been some points during this project where I was convinced I was in over my head.

3. Roush PSD Interceptor

Roush PSD Interceptor 7.3L Straight Piped Diesel

Looks and sounds great.

4. TxFx04

TxFx04 FFS Frequent Traveler

that header install went pretty smoothly? I just know if i did it i'd snap studs or strip things and it'd turn into a 2 week project and it wouldn't be worth it in the end :jester: I also just hate how no matter what the 5.4 3v is such a quiet motor while idling. my old 4.6 with a flowmaster could be heard from inside the house over the tv haha

5. trinity south flareside

trinity south flareside not hypnotized

nice!!

6. FXd_up

FXd_up Junior Member

It was a PITA doing it in a driveway. If you have access to a lift things are 100x easier. I took my time knowing it would be a pain and it still took me 4 days about 6 hours each day (it was about 95 every day I was working on it too so I was working slowww). I was expecting that I would snap at least a couple studs, but for once I had good luck (which is surprising cause I'm king of breaking s**t) It also helped that I sprayed everything with PB blaster the day before to get everything nice and loose. IMO, this isn't worth the time if you're putting them on a stock engine. Long tubes would be a more worthwhile buy for an N/A engine, and if I didn't smog my truck then that what I would've gotten.

You're totally right too. I hear more chain slap and injector tick than exhaust noise at idle. My 97 with shorties and Flowmaster would rattle windows at idle.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  7. FXd_up

FXd_up Junior Member

Stereo/ interior:

So I've decided to take a little break from any engine or suspension work while I pay off my credit card and get some cash so I can get it on a dyno (JBA wants. So in the mean time I've started a new project. Its a work in progress, so input and advice is appreciated.

Like I said before, the person I bought this truck from though he was going to build an awesome Baja trophy truck, before he realized it was out of his abilities. When I bought the truck it was missing the jump seat, and has a bunch of random holes everywhere for switches and what not. Eventually I will replace all the molested body panels and make everything look stock again. Here are some pics of what I did to the truck within the first couple months of buying it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now I've got other ideas. I've been thinking about a flow through center console with a sub between the seats, cup holders in the middle, boost gauge, AEM, SCT livewire and switch panel mounted in the front (kinda where the 3 gauge kit is now), and a cig lighter on the back for the back seats. Here are some pics of the project so far. Obviously things will start looking more natural once I start fiberglassing everything.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll be posting more pics on this once there's something worth showing

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  8. Roush PSD Interceptor

Roush PSD Interceptor 7.3L Straight Piped Diesel

Looking great.
    Suggestions:
    Wrap that in synthetic leather.
    Rear DVD/separate audio unit w/ wireless
    or plug in headphones for back seat
    passengers, secret compartment,
    LED lighting.

9. MyFX4Project

MyFX4Project TRUCKIT

Looks like a fun project. LED lightning would really accent the console and make it the center piece. Especially if you plan on adding a livewire into the mix.