Got the plugs swapped!

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by che22879, Aug 5, 2013.

1. che22879

che22879 Big Dog Che

Since I knew I needed new spark plugs (Tuck has 100K on the clock and a misfire at 1200 to 1800 RPM) I read every thread I could find and watched a lot of youtube videos on successful plug swaps. Best advice I found was to run at least 2 bottles of Techron before attempting the plug change. I ran 2 bottles and 25 gallons of gas, put about 330 miles on the truck. It actually did help with the misfire but it was still there. Picked up 8 new Motorcraft SP 515 spark plugs and new plug boots this morning, took my sister to work and waited for my buddy to open his shop. He had the right spark plug socket and the Lisle tool in case one broke. After talking crap a bit we settled on a price. $70 and a helping hand. I couldn't beat that anywhere. We even used some of my HF tools. He's a little guy with small hands so it was a lot easier for him to get to the plugs. He didn't remove the air filter box or the computer. Just dove right in. I mentioned using the 3/8 impact but he just laughed. All he said was "I got this". No carb cleaner, no PB blaster or anything. He told me: "the secret is to do it by feel, trust me" To be honest I was skeptical, but if he broke one he had the tool so on with it.

The first one came out without a problem.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You can see where the Techron didn't reach the carbon all the way up, its still dark black. Here is a new redesigned plug next to the original, notice how bad the electrode wore out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The next 2 he loosened a 1/4 turn then tightened it back up. Loosened it again and just kept going. They both came out screeching the whole way out. The last one on the passengers side was a lot harder, I thought for sure it would break. He took his time, worked it back and forth then he said: "Oh crap!... just kidding", and took out the last plug. I damn near pooped myself. That plug alone was worth the $70 I payed him.

Half way there.

[​IMG]

The first 3 plugs on the driver side were pretty much the same as the 3 others, a little back and forth and they came out screeching. The last one was a bit harder but he took it out. No breaks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All the new plugs got nickel anti seize and new boots. Drove it to the bank, got his cash and drove back. Truck was a whole other animal! More power and smoother acceleration. It was like driving a new truck home. No hesitation or misfire whatsoever. :happy107:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  2. TxFx04

TxFx04 FFS Frequent Traveler

Nice! I gotta do this soon. 115k miles. Just waiting on a misfire for me to actually pull the trigger on it

3. che22879

che22879 Big Dog Che

Start running some Techron every once in a while, I'm pretty sure its what made this plug swap possible. My buddy is a top notch mechanic but the carbon on the plugs was really easy to break up.

4. iowaredneck

iowaredneck Administrator

Nice work

sent from area 51

5. nflfreak43

nflfreak43 Full Access Member

Do it ASAP.. Longer you wait the harder and higher chance o a plug breaking...

People I know we're changing them out at 60k and ****...

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Ford Power

6. VanoFord

VanoFord Banned

In my own imaginary world, where. Respect for wome
    your friend is right. everytime i had done plugs (dont need to swap them ever again :jester: ) i would do them by feel. it was like i was trying to pick a lock combo on a safe, slow and steady, trying to feel every turn of the plug in my hand. nice job! glad the truck is runnin great again.

its amazing a lil maintenance makes us fall in love like it was day 1 all over again.

7. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

I've got to do this....glad it was such a success!

8. Tradesman

Tradesman Full Access Member

Don't wait brother, if you have over 100,000km on your truck then do it right away. I did mine at 148,000km and every single one of 'em broke. I had the Lisle tool and a member of another F-150 forum I used to visit had an excellent write up on the procedure. I followed that and saved myself a s**tload of money.

9. Tradesman

Tradesman Full Access Member

The springs that fit inside your coils look toast! At least the one does.

10. TxFx04

TxFx04 FFS Frequent Traveler

with my luck i'm gonna break most of them. it's starting to run a little crappy. i need to pull the trigger