Help me out Ebrake not working

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by liter of cola, May 23, 2013.

1. liter of cola

liter of cola X tra L arge

ebrake is not working at all and thats very importabnt for a 5spd truck. any ideas where to start? I DIDNT get the extra warranty but was thinkint they may make it worth my time and get i fixxed

2. cowboy

cowboy Sheriff

Take the rear drums off and take a look. Mine were completely rusted and the pad broke off. I did find that the spreader that pushes the pads to the walls was rusted it needed a lot of WD-40 to get it working again.

But the first thing I would do is check the position of the cable with the ebrake on and off, if it moves that tells you the problem is in the drum.

3. liter of cola

ok thanks ill give it a try..there is resistance on the pedal. i guess im not familiar with drums all that well...i do know the dealership i bought the truck off of just replaced the rear brakes...possible they didnt hook back up the ebrake?

4. VanoFord

VanoFord Banned

In my own imaginary world, where. Respect for wome
    that is a possibility, but unlikely. even though we are talking about "drums" you still have disc breaks all around. the "drum" is where the ebrake system is on a disc set up. just remove your wheel, then your caliper + bracket, and its behind the rotor itself. remove rotor and everything is there. should be a spring (that typically rusts) that enacts the pad when the ebrake is depressed. take pics and we'll get ya squared away.

until then, tires turned to curb and leave it in 1st. careful when you start it though. :facepalm:

5. liter of cola

thanks vano i got confused with drum when i thought for sure they had discs all way around lol. i climbed under it today and piddled with it...pretty sure it hooked up bc i finnally got it to hold the truck when i depressed the pedal quickly....not a good hold tho..gonna pull wheel off tomorrow and look and see how to adjust it ill take pics...

6. cowboy

cowboy Sheriff

it should be self adjusting like the old drum brakes, or manually there should be a spot on the back where you could stick a flat head screw driver into and adjust the star wheel.

7. liter of cola

self adjust so put down to floor and release several times? makes sense bc it wasnt holding at all first few times i tried and now it slightly holding