here she is guys!

Discussion in '12th Generation F-Series : 2009 - 2014' started by Pity7700, Dec 15, 2014.

1. dchawk81

dchawk81 Full Access Member

Looks good. Can you show us headlights only in the same location for comparison?

2. Pity7700

Pity7700 oh umm...uhh?

I'll get it tonight.

3. Pity7700

Pity7700 oh umm...uhh?

Haven't posted in here in a while.

Been chasing a problem on the truck. Had a timing too retarded code come on a month it so back, linked it, or so I thought, to the VVT solenoids, hoping it wasn't the phasers. Replaced the VVT solenoids, found that 1 was breaking. Cost me about $100. Didn't fix the issue.

Been getting worse and worse so I started digging through the web. Found a Ford tech that's on YouTube, very knowledgeable guy.

He says that the 3v, as we know, has phaser issues from 04-10. He says that in countries outside the US, they don't have the issues we do and it's because they use 5w30 instead of 5w20. Ford needed to keep up with gas mileage requirements so they went to the lighter oil.

Tried a trick he suggested to eliminate components from the system to see if I could narrow the issue down.

He said to unplug both VVT solenoids and take a drive, listen for certain noises and misfire situations to disappear, they absolutely did. Engine ran great with the exception of a lack of power. With unplugging the solenoids, you remove both the solenoids as well as the phasers from operation. Since the VVT solenoids are new, I'm leaning towards the phasers especially since I've had this issue since I bought the truck and it's only getting worse.

3 options here, change the timing chains, tensioners, phasers, guides and all that associated with timing and change to 5w30 oil, $900 Ford certified kit, or, contact 5 star tuning and have them send me a lockout kit and retune my engine to run with locked phasers. This option is $200.

3rd option would be to swap to new phasers and change to 5w30. That's about $500 I think.

I've been driving the truck like this since I had it with 60k miles, I'm not at 89k miles. I'm leaning towards the $900 kit and fixing everything.

What do y'all think?

4. Roush PSD Interceptor

Roush PSD Interceptor 7.3L Straight Piped Diesel

I would want it fixed as in everything done right, knowing that being the most expensive, may not be in the budget.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Pity7700 likes this.
  5. Pity7700

Pity7700 oh umm...uhh?

I went ahead and ordered an entire timing kit, chains, guides, tensioners and phasers. I'll do it right and then switch to 5w30.

Also thinking about dropping a set of comp cams in since I'll have it apart, stay tuned lol.

Roush PSD Interceptor likes this.
  6. Pity7700

Pity7700 oh umm...uhh?

Ordered the cams. $715.

I'm assuming I need new cam bearings, right? Anyone know?

7. Pity7700

Pity7700 oh umm...uhh?

Cams should be here tomorrow. Also had to order a couple Ford specific OTC tools for the job, cost me another $200 and an oil pump, another $100.

There goes all my 302 build money lol

8. Chris71Mach1

Chris71Mach1 Junior Member

What all is included in the $900 kit? Does it lock out the phasers or does it keep the phasers in use, just replacing all the worn and failing parts, using the heavier oil as the solution to the whole issue?

Sorry if I sound a little ill-informed, but I've never heard of Ford using the heavier oil outside the US and trucks that use that oil being less susceptible to the dreaded phaser failure problem.

FitReaper and Pity7700 like this.
  9. Pity7700

Pity7700 oh umm...uhh?

The Ford kit includes all new phasers, chains, guides, tensioners and appropriate seals and gaskets. Everything will be brand new, no lock outs.

I've read it a couple times about the heavier oil making parts last longer in this particular engine, it was also stated to use an oil high in detergents. One guy that I've been following is a Ford mechanic who seems pretty knowledgeable. Ford used to use 5w30 in the older 5.4 2v but switched with this new 5.4 3v, guarantee is had to do with mileage requirements. Looks as though in Australia, the 5.4 3v actually get s recommended 10w30.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  10. Pity7700

Pity7700 oh umm...uhh?

Has begun!

Got the valve covers off along with all pullies before work. Passenger side timing chain is loose as hell, all kinds of slack in it. I'll find out more when I get the timing chain cover off tomorrow.